Wild Garlic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Has anyone on here tried growing the stuff from seed? I quite fancy getting a patch going in my garden.

Yes. It's very easy and within a couple of years they start to produce harvestable leaves and flowers.

Just gather the seed when ripe and sprinkle over your chosen patch right away. A word of caution it does freely seed and spread about the garden when it's established.

The seed should almost be ready for collecting, the pods will go from green to light brown and the little black seeds should easily fall out if you tap them.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I don`t understand it. I spent two hours wandering through my local Sulham woods last weekend looking for wild garlic. I couldn`t find a single plant, not one. I have some in my garden and use it as an edible so I know what I was looking for. There was nothing anywhere I don`t understand it. Maybe it doesn`t grow so well here in Reading in the South-East.

Does anyone else who lives in the SE have any problems in finding it?

Try going up the hill from Pangbourne towards Upper Basildon. Pass the Bere Court rd turning on your left and stay left at the fork. If memory serves there is a small wood with a track after a couple hundred yds (used to be called Medway & probably full of bluebells at the mo) track leads to the College. The wood used to be full of the stuff and you could smell it on the air. I'm pretty sure the wood is owned by the College, but if it is rampant at the moment you will find it at the entrance and verge and possibly in the hedgerows. Might be worth a quick trip.

ATB
Sack

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Wild Garlic is famouse for being tricky to get growing where you want it to, I've tried growing from seed and simple depositing of the bulbs, I suspect its something to do with alkaline soil and the right amount of shade, since I always see it growing in partial sun.

Good luck though, some peope just get lucky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE