Wild camping in Sweden.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, a small group (4) of us, are planning a 10 day hiking, canoeing and wildcamping trip to Vättlefjäll and the surrounding lakes in June next year.
Flights, and canoes are booked, and we have a generous 30kg luggage allowance each, 20kg hold and 10kg cabin. We pretty much know what kit to bring, and will try not to replicate kit, but does the hive mind have any recommendations or tips on what to bring/ not to bring, places to go, camp or visit. Also what are the Mozzies/Midges like at that time of year, and best ways to deal with them. Cooking tips will also be welcome, as this will be an almost entirely self catering trip.
Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have a look over the trip reports from Twodogs and MartinK9. They have some info on food, cooking and kit taken.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Vättlefjäll, as in an island close(ish) to Gothenburg? Not a lot of blood sucking vermin...I'd regard them as non-existant (but perhaps someone closer can advice)

First time in Sweden? Have a look at http://www.swedishepa.se/Enjoying-nature/The-Right-of-Public-Access/

Sounds like a nice trip!
Greger

Thanks for the useful info Greger, it will be our first time in Sweden. We have one very experienced canoeist, but the rest of us have not paddled for quite a few years.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
we went with woodlands ways in september this year.angie and i had never paddled before apart from a few training trips down wye.its not a race take your time it some of the most breath taking scenery ever.the silence is defening.

ok from our experience
food... chorizo was a favourite its high fat and protien.one of our favourite meals was beans chorizo in beans and smash.
polar bread was reccommended and its great,fresh veg and friut will only last so long.that early in year berries may not be avaliable naturally.jerky and other dried meats.
fishing brought mixed results until the last night when we long lined for pike and very nice it was to after catching some roach as livegait.
damper bread was a breakfast staple slowly cooked on a dutch oven lid on the coals.
pearl barley added to a stew thickened and added body.
the food shopping there isnt much more than here now.booze and chocolate maybe more.i'd definatly take herbs and spices.we picked up primala cheese of various flavours which we had on polar bread and added to soups.
clothes...obviosly a ditch kit but we used this as our spare clothes as well.we probably took too many even for september.
bugs... only one time were they bad and mostly it was dear tegs,spider like biters.
back to food... water treatment.we took a sawyer but to be honest it was crap.the expedition Thirst First created the sweetest water ever.
dont wait to get in the water i did and regreted it.it was very refreshing especially after a bush sauna

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE