Wild Camping in Norway (Femundsmarka National Park?)

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi :)

I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend next summer to do some wild camping, bushcraft and hiking for a couple of weeks in Norway (or maybe Sweden).

I would like to go to a large wilderness area with forests, mountains and lakes, where I wont encounter many people, but at the same time, it will be my first trip of this nature and I don't want to put our lives in danger by going hundreds of miles away from civilisation and help in case anything happens.

One potential place I have found is Femundsmarka National Park in Norway (on the border with Sweden). Lots of nice scenery, small mountains, forest and lakes etc. It is quite southern, and elevation doesn't go above 1500m so I'm sure it won't get dangerously cold or anything. However, the actual national park area is a little small (about 10 miles across, and 40 miles vertically) and perhaps too much of a popular place for fishing, canoeing and other tourists etc.

What do you guys think? Any one been there or know of any other place which you think might be suitable?

Cheers :)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Femundsmarka is beautifull and wild, but it is not easy to get there by public transport and it is pretty tough terrain. And even though it is in the southern parts of Norway, it is also one of the coldest places in Norway (it seems to be a common misconception on here that you have to travel north of the polar circle to experience "arctic" conditions) . And I have experienced temps below 0C in July in Femundsmarka on more than one occation.
Don't be fooled by the park borders, the area otside the park is the same as inside the park, wild and desolate. If you have little or no experience, Femundsmarka should not be your first choice.
It can be "crowded" in high season, meaning you will meet people every day if you stay along the main trails.
When that is said, it is absolutely one of the best places in Norway. The mosquito plague can be realy extreme at times in there, so bring enough repelant.

But there are lots of areas, also outside the national parks were you can walk for days without seeing a single soul.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Femundsmarka is beautifull and wild, but it is not easy to get there by public transport and it is pretty tough terrain. And even though it is in the southern parts of Norway, it is also one of the coldest places in Norway (it seems to be a common misconception on here that you have to travel north of the polar circle to experience "arctic" conditions) . And I have experienced temps below 0C in July in Femundsmarka on more than one occation.
Don't be fooled by the park borders, the area otside the park is the same as inside the park, wild and desolate. If you have little or no experience, Femundsmarka should not be your first choice.
It can be "crowded" in high season, meaning you will meet people every day if you stay along the main trails.
When that is said, it is absolutely one of the best places in Norway. The mosquito plague can be realy extreme at times in there, so bring enough repelant.

But there are lots of areas, also outside the national parks were you can walk for days without seeing a single soul.

Thanks for the info, that should help me lots :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How about trying Scotland Billy for you and the gal's first trip, easier to get too, still remote, should tick all your boxes.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
How about trying Scotland Billy for you and the gal's first trip, easier to get too, still remote, should tick all your boxes.

I was actually thinking of going there first as a sort of practice :) anywhere in particular you would recommend?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE