wild camping Edale/Castleton area

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Beefy I am not sure anyone will openly name places due to our Laws etc etc. But if anyone knows anywhere you may get a few pms. I will drag out my maps later to see if I can rememeber a few grid refs that are walkable from train stations.Must admit I aint been to the Peaks for ages.

Andy

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Not a place I would consider for wild camping as area is pretty busy with walkers, cavers and farming throughout the year. Not much in the way of cover/woods either.
Some campsites are open all year and at least offer a legal alternative.
Coopers Farm in Edale has a pub on its doorstep, always useful in the rain.
Cheers Riven.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yep Edale/Castleton is about as "honey pot" an area as you can get. There are more folk living within 50 miles of Edale than within 50 miles of Big Ben (Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield are 2nd, 3rd and 4th biggest cities all within an hours drive. There are more subtle places to wildcamp. Good choices of campsites in the village though varying from those in the village with decent showers and loos and 2 mins walk from the pubs. Filedhead has a small backpackers area the other side of the stream from the main campsite. Whitmore Lea Farm, Barber Booth is farmers fields not well known just short of a mile from the village centre and empty this time of year.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Edale

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Yup, wild camped around edale, get up high and out the way and no one will mind. we didn't have any open fires however, we only had our trangs.
eaten alive by the wee beasties mind!
If your near Hayfield i highly recommend the camp site on kinder road near Kinder reservoir. Its the Camping and caravan club and they NEVER turn away backpackers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE