Whitebeam

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have come into a small amount of Whitebeam wood due to the recent storm. I would like to use it to make some items that would be used in food prep (chopping board, trencher, etc...). Can anyone see any reason not to? Is Whitebeam foodsafe (I checked the sticky wood toxicity thread but no answer)?

Secondly, am I better off working it green, or seasoned?

Thanks

J

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Perfectly safe for food use - just give whatever you make a few coats of Walnut oil and do that every now and then; don't use other oils like Olive or Veg oil, they're non-drying and just go rancid whilst the Walnut oil dries and creates a barrier.

Like other woods, green will be qucer to do and easier on your tools, but seasoned is ok if you don't use it all straight off.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Perfectly safe for food use - just give whatever you make a few coats of Walnut oil and do that every now and then; don't use other oils like Olive or Veg oil, they're non-drying and just go rancid whilst the Walnut oil dries and creates a barrier.

Like other woods, green will be qucer to do and easier on your tools, but seasoned is ok if you don't use it all straight off.

Cheers. Looks like Whitebeam will be ideal for what I wanted. What's linseed oil like compared to Walnut oil?

Thanks

J

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Boiled linseed oil = heavy metal driers = doesn't taste that good either.

Raw linseed oil = no heavy metals = doesn't taste.......

Walnut oil = food grade = quid from Asda = nice in a salad aswell.

Linseed is also quite expensive and it's harder to sneak in the trolley under the veg when I'm doing my +1 at Asda:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE