Which is the best way to tie up a hammock!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 21, 2005
dublin ireland
Hi guys i just bought a tropical hammock and im wondering which is the best way to tie it up the lines on each end are doubled up so should they be left this way or should the line be single?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If they'r long enough you could take them to the tree go round once and then finish with a shoelace bow.

Andy Price shows that method in a vid here ...
http://www.azbushcraft.com/index.php/s/shelter-series-1

Another alternative is to cut that cord down and make it into a loop, attach a carabiner to that loop and then add another length of tape which then goes to the tree, the advantage of doing it that way is that you get a drip ring for the water to fall from.

Bushblade did a great tutorial with this method here ...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53500

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Ask 10 people and you'll probably get 10 different answers.
Personally, I have a steel ring on some tape at either end of mine (this acts as a drip point and stops water running down the hammock line)
I use a spectra line with a braided loop at one end (which goes around the tree), which is tied to the ring with a falconers hitch.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd always go with a doubled line if possible, and as Rich says, the shoelace bow is perfect for it. If you use it single, learn the evenk knot-it'll come undone easily if iced up.

If you tie a strip of jey-cloth onto your hammock lines or even some string/paracord, it'll work as a drip-stop.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I use straps that wrap around the trunk of a sturdy tree. At the end of each strap I tie a loop. After wrapping the strap around the trunk place a karibiner through the 2 loops. Then attach the hammock lines to the karibiner. This is the simple way, it can be modified loads. Here's a pic:

dsc02363w.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE