Whats this fungi ?

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Dunno whats up with photos urls, so had to get a photobucket account !!!

S7000114.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Here is picky of what hen of the woods looks like

http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Grifola_frondosa.htm

It grows very reliably on the same tree year after year, and it tastes lovely.
It has PORES on the underside and is in season august to october. In hot weather the taste can go a bit cheesy.

I prefer calling it grifola frondosa (not that hard to say) as it prevents confusion with chicken of the woods. Which is bright yellow, grows high up the trunk and is also delcious.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Could be grifolia, but from the masses of it and the fact it appears to be in the ground around the tree, I would hazard that it could be Meripilus gigantium. Is the tree showing signs of dieback in the crown? If so that would reinforce the meripilus idea.

ps meripilus is'nt edible ;)

xylaria

Both grifola frondosa and meripilus gigantium turn into gooey messes. There are also both saprophitic on trees, and are found at the base of trees or on buried roots. They also both fruit reliably in the same place every year. :) So it looks like we might wait and see. Meripilus is also not totally inedible, supposedly you can stew it. :bluThinki

paulcd

Tenderfoot
The yellow is throwing me along with your suggestions...I've never seen meripilus this colour, but plenty of chicken of the woods this colour. I often find chicken and meripilus overlapping in a more horizontal fashion, so from the perspective of form, it meets more with the hen suggestion...but from the photo, to go for the £32,000, I shall have to stump for chicken on a 75 percent surety.
Remember, if not 100 percent, you don't eat it!

xylaria

Meripilus gigantium is a very varible fungus. It also fruits later than a grifola frondosa. Meripilus often expires into swarm of flies in my experiance, and even though eating it is on my to-do-list I havent yet because it is normally infested. One million flies think it is edilble :lmao:

Chicken of the woods (laetiporus sulphureus) grows up on tree trunk not on the ground.

There is no deadly poisonous polypores in europe that I know of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE