What woods this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is and if its any good for spoon making. It came from a tree that has been felled recently behind my home.
IMGP0713-copy.jpg

Cheers....Gumbob

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Hard to tell from the photo.....But I'd agree with Jon and say it ash.......due to the flat grey bark, plus, its just starting to develop the distintive ridging on the bark of an older tree.....
Perhaps you could supply us with a photo of the grain.......

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Had a quick look in the garden, and it looks like Ash, my ash tree also has a dark fungus growth on some of the branches which looks like the one in the picture.

Is the wood very light coloured, and does it have a tight grain?

Cheers

TC

M

Mooney

i had the same fungus on the ash in my garden aswell, it died so we chopped it.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I feel pretty confident that it is willow (sp.: salix caprea). They usually crack in the bark that way and the lichen that grows on it I have seen growing on it often. It also seems to be unevenly coloured which is quite common on this tree.

Could we get a closeup of the cut?

Torjus Gaaren

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
torjusg said:
I feel pretty confident that it is willow (sp.: salix caprea). They usually crack in the bark that way and the lichen that grows on it I have seen growing on it often. It also seems to be unevenly coloured which is quite common on this tree.

Could we get a closeup of the cut?

Torjus Gaaren

It is very hard to tell from just that one photo but if pushed I'd have said Willow too...on the other hand as people have said below it's not unlike Ash.

If there aren't any leaves left on it then look at the fallen ones on the floor.

Anyway...my vote goes with Willow too :p

Let us know what you find out Mate,

Bam. :D

(P.s. if it is Willow then there's no reason you can't carve a spoon with it but watch for a twisting of the grain along it's length, Willow can be quite twisted and may take some careful carving and evaluation - If it's Ash then it'll make a lovely spoon :) )

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Thanks for all the replies peeps. :D

After much research (I asked the farmer :rolleyes: ) I have discovered it is willow.

Bam, You were spot on about the twisting of the grain. I have started carving a spoon and found the twisting a bit of a problem. I also noticed that as it dried it has started to split slightly.

I will post pics when I get it finished.

Thanks again lads....Gumbob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE