What thickness and type of leather for tool holders?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
In the near future when I find a spare moment I would like to make my own cases, sheaths for the tools I use in the woods.
As I have virtually no experience with leatherworking I would like to have a go at initially forming a case for my folding spade, sheath for my multi-tool and Laplander as well as a new belt to hang them from.

So the main question before I jump into sourcing the leather, tools etc. I presume it's veg tan leather is what I need to use, but what would be the best thickness?

Later on I will also be making a new tool roll for my Wera VDE driver with interchangeable bits as the roll that comes with it has a fixed loop and I need something I was wear on and off during work. this would require a more pliable leather so I assume a much thinner piece of leather but would still require it to stand up to heavy use and abuse.

Hopefully this makes sense,

Cheers

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've been working on a leather holder for my fishing tools lately. 4mm veg-tanned leather. I use the same leather for sheaths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE