What sort of deer was/is this?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Just picked up a roadkill deer, and I'm not sure which species it is. I've already removed the head, which looked like it took much of the brunt of the impact. I've only eaten roe deer before, and they are distinctly orange/brown - and a bit smaller than this. Is this a sika?

37128_442891907483_566312483_5804337_6306071_n.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd say Sika, there's still signs of lateral spots on the back end. It looks like it's taken it's darker winter coat too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you are going to eat that, I hope you saw it killed. Injured deer are often despatched with an injection. The compound can then render the meat unsae to eat.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
If you are going to eat that, I hope you saw it killed. Injured deer are often despatched with an injection. The compound can then render the meat unsae to eat.

Never mind that, I think it's been "spooked" with liquid explosive...where's its head...:yikes:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk

So I've heard, but I've been eating roadkill deer for some time now and I'm yet to hear of any actual cases of vet-attended carcasses being picked up and eaten as roadkill. I suspect the chances of it actually happening are close to zero. I don't think vets are called to attend deer collisions very often, and even if they do then they are supposed to mark the carcass. So...for this to be a problem you have to find a carcass which (a) was attended by a vet and (b) the vet didn't mark the carcass and (c) the local authorities have not picked up this tainted, unmarked carcass. Not impossible, but then neither is accidentally killing yourself by falling down the stairs.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Never mind that, I think it's been "spooked" with liquid explosive...where's its head...:yikes:

In a bag by that point. It was pretty mashed up. Unfortunately, so was much of the rest of the carcass, which was a shame because it looked relatively OK before I cut it open. The guts were intact, but one entire side of the carcass was impact-damaged and in the end the only bits worth saving were one front leg, half of the saddle and the tenderloin. Still...better than nothing and I got to practice my butchering skills.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Sorry I coudnt resist :sad6: :lmao:

Consuming self-identified fungi (for a beginner) is considerably more dangerous than eating roadkill venison, I think. On the other hand, at least the fungi can't have been despatched by a vet!

This deer did not survive the impact. It had a large hole in its head, roughly where its brain should have been.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fair enough fellah. Time was when one of us would despatch an injured deer with our rifles or more likely a handgun. Even that is rarely allowed now. I have known vets do the injection thing....although to be honest, if the animal is in pain and thrashing (usually because of leg / hip / spine injury) theres a fair chance of injury in doing so. You clearly are aware of the risks, so entirely your call.

Red

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
In a bag by that point. It was pretty mashed up......in the end the only bits worth saving were one front leg, half of the saddle and the tenderloin. Still...better than nothing and I got to practice my butchering skills.

I've scavanged far worse in my time Geoff...what doesn't kill ya...will only give you the squits...;) Enjoy...particularly the loin, cooked fast and short, let it rest and produce a nice full port and chocolate sauce with juniper berries...New pots, greens and a glass of burgandy...:)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
if the meats no good at least you may get a half decent pelt out of it

I looked into that when I first started eating roadkill deer. Unfortunately, tanning hides is just about the only job which is considerably nastier and smellier than gutting a large animal. Not exactly a suitable cottage industry for a novice...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I looked into that when I first started eating roadkill deer. Unfortunately, tanning hides is just about the only job which is considerably nastier and smellier than gutting a large animal. Not exactly a suitable cottage industry for a novice...

Its only smelly for a few days...once it starts to dry smells like a rawhide chew, and then sweet as a Sika's bum....:confused:

This
copy5-1.jpg
soon became this
BearCamp-1.jpg

Though in this case I think brain tanning is out...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE