What size Sleeping Mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

SteveOh

Hi folks.

I'm having a dilemma.

I'm trying to buy a Exped Downmat UL 7 M or LW to use in a BA Bivi.
However no one in my area stocks them in any size so I cant try one out.
The M is 183 x 52 x 7 cm
The LW is 197 x 65 x 7 cm

I'm 180cm tall and exactly 52cm at the shoulders whilst standing

Can anyone give me advice on which mat to buy?

thanks for any help

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have Exped Downmat UL 7LW amongst others. I find it a great fit for me. I dont like under sized pads. Doubt you will get either in a BA Bivy though with enough room for you and your sleeping bag.

The thermarest neoair and extherm mats are tapered to the foot. They might stand a better chance of fitting in the bivy. I have a bugaboo bivy which is over size and can take a mat (tapered one not exped). They are on offer at needle sports for £99

I prefer the xtherm to the exped if i honest as its much lighter and as a bonus its cheaper too

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I would go for the M as it sounds like an exact fit for you - any extra length or width is just extra bulk & weight IMO. If your feet are over the end slightly (which they shouldn't be) you can always make a pillow out of clothes or take one with you (blow up / or pack pillow).

In winter / bothies (hard floor) I use a 3/4 Thermarest and a traditional foam mat cut down to fit me. This combination seems to work well for cold protection & adequate padding. I'm not bothered about damaging the foam mat either as it can withstand rougher treatment. In summer I can usual get away with the 3/4 Thermarest although I am quite short.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Do you sleep on your back? I am considerably wider than you (although shorter) and got a 9LW for that reason. I then realised that in fact I sleep on my side in the foetal position most of the time and that the LW is wasted weight. I now use a short Downmat Lite. Just a thought.

S

SteveOh

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think the M is the way to go as I am a foetal sleeper like widu13. I never even gave it a thought until I read it. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Dont forget if you use a hammock, the curve means the mat covers less of you than it would if on ground. Thats where the extra width gets useful from the larger sizes.

Just something to consider.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE