What Is This::::

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Ok bushcraft experts. I have a challenge.

The pictures below are of something that was given to me. it looks like a burl, but the shape is weird and I can see no real place where it might have been attached to a tree.

It is rock hard, and the colour of the woody stuff inside varies from brow to light yellow.

It is very heavy. Something tells me that it could be a birch fungus... but i have no idea as to what tree it came from. At the same time I remember these fungi to be smaller and softer.

Question is this: what is it? and Can it be ued for anything useful or should I burn it this winter?

any help greatly appreciated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Seagull said:
Dave, I am wondering if it could be a chunk of some sort of Lignum Vitae, similar colour striations.

Seagull

I don't think it is. It was found in a forest here in the middle of Norway. I have a gut feeling it is from birch or pine or something. I really have no idea...

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
It looks like a huge pine knot - they sometimes get left behind when the rest of the tree rots, could be a handy source of kindling for the rest of your life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE