What I saw while cleaning windows

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
A whole nursery of spiders under the thatch eaves..

Spider%252520babies1.jpg

Spider%252520babies2.jpg

Spider%252520babies3.jpg

I think they are common garden spiders and where a devil to photograph even on a macro setting so resorted to auto on my alpha, if anyone knows exactly what they are or has any tips on getting good close ups of these tiny critters feel free to let us know.
The wire is standard chicken wire that covers the thatch so will give an idea of scale.
camera Sony a350 with 18-70 /3.5-5.6.

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Very busy/active critters, also reacted to the camera's flash.
really makes me want to learn more about them, like, what do they eat when that small?

Rob.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I found exactly the same thing under the lid to the recycling bin the other day, yellowish bodies with black markings. That freaked my wife out bad. Not wanting to kill them we "relocated" them to a bush out in the garden. They seemed to like it as about an hour later I watched them crawl to the top most branches stick their little butts in the air cast off and balloon off in the breeze. They wouldn't have been able to do that in the garage. I agree very difficult to photo but you did a good job. Mine looked all fuzzy and yellowish.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Eachother. Young garden spiders don't seem too fussy about kinship. There's all manner of little insects in a garden from aphids on up.
My lupines in the front were dripping with really fat aphids, probably at least one each for your spiders.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wonderful. Feed them. Place bunches of them on all your vulnerable plants. There will be murder and mayhem afoot! Let the spiders do the work.
It's called Integrated Pest Management. IPM is serious business in our fruit crops here. Far, far cheaper than chemical sprays.

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
Found the same thing in my garden the other day in the tube of the garden sun umbrella. Also found a big false widow in the chiminea, nasty looking thing it was too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE