What GPS External Antenna?

bearbait

Hi All,

I'm researching an external antenna for a Garmin GPS. I'm planning to use it mostly for survey and occasionally for nav in very difficult conditions. It will mostly be used on foot fixed to a stick poking out of the top of my rucsac (or on top of a baseball cap!); very occasionally will it vehicle mounted - probably on a dash - or outside if magnetic.

Any recommendations/steer clears on particular makes and models? Gilsson seems to well thought of.

Many TIA...

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
If your mechanical minded build one! Im guessing now with out researching but satelletes respond better to flat arials so take two coat hangers cross them to form a cross connect this to the centre of the cable to plug in to the garmin. Cut a counterpoise (a bit of long wire) stick that to the outer best if you solder.. This should sort you out..

Simon

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Alas, it's not quite as easy to build an antenna for GPS as it is for FM radio, telly, or even UHF Tacsat!

The frequencies involved - and the fact that the GPS signal at the earth is so weak - mean that the antenna has to be cut pretty accurately, especially if you want to get a decent gain over isotropic. Unfortunately, unless you are experienced in making patch antennas, this is one of those times when you just have to bite the bullet and buy commercial....:sigh:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE