What can I do with Cherry Wood???

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
I have a decent trunk of a chopped down cherry tree outside, and I was wondering what can I do with it? How easy is Cherry to carve? Can I it as fire wood? Can spoons and impliments be made from it etc? Seems a nice size chunk of wood to practice on.

Wolves. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Cherry is wonderful wood for just about anything. Prized for furniture and also a great wood to carve. Makes good knife handles as well.

I carved both of these spoons from seasoned cherry.

chinesespoon2b.jpg

chinesespoon3b.jpg

gravyspoon3c.jpg

gravyspoon4c.jpg

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Love your spoons Hoodoo. Excellent work.
How about a candlestick or even a pair? Add a bit of class to your camp area.
Cherry would be a beautiful wood to use for them. Usual routine - blank out with an axe and carve to your own design using stop cuts. Sand finely and a bit of oil to finish. I made one recently from Ash, but cherry would look the bobby dazzlers :)

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Cool, thank you kindly. :) Can't wait to get stuck in, was gonna use a big part for firewood and a few of the smaller bits for carving, But I might use the whole thing to make stuff out of now :D keep coming up with dieas. Gonna try a spoon, a spork, a bowl, and a couple of candle-stick holders. :)

Will post pics if i end up with something decent.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice one.
It's up to you of course but if I was lucky enough to have a nice bit of cherry wood I'd use as much of as it as possible for carving as you can see from Hoodoo's spoons it's got a beautiful reddish colour and grain to it, and it seems a waste to burn such beautiful wood but having said that it burns steadily and is a good fuel and gives off a nice scent.
Be adventurous and try new things not just the mainstream bushcrafty stuff. As I mentioned already candlesticks, a cherry priest for small game and fish, a pessle and mortar, wooden afro comb, etc , etc there's loads of things you can make other than the usual spoons (although cherry spoons look beautiful) let your imagination run wild ............ :red:

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
This is what I'm going to attempt:

Bowl
Incence Burner
Spoon
Candle stick holders
Spork
Bread Board
Afro Comb sounds like fun, although I don't think i'd use it for its purpose ;)
And the rest I will have to see.

and a very little bit for fire wood to see how it burns and what scent it gives off, and also what smoke it produces.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
How big is the trunk? cherry is very strong in compression so it makes a good bow if backed.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Dances with Wolves said:
This is what I'm going to attempt:

Bowl
Incence Burner
Spoon
Candle stick holders
Spork
Bread Board
Afro Comb sounds like fun, although I don't think i'd use it for its purpose ;)
And the rest I will have to see.

and a very little bit for fire wood to see how it burns and what scent it gives off, and also what smoke it produces.

Certainly got your work cut out then!

If you have got a lathe i think Cherry is good for turning. But dont hold me to that!

Jon

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Dances with Wolves said:
Its about a foot in diameter and about 3 and a half feet long. I'm a total noobie though so i think a bow might be a bit above my level at the mo :) Up for trying though. :)

You could split out two lengths (called billets) and splice them together at the handle to make a bow. Not ideal as a first bow but if you seal the cut ends with varnish and set them aside to season they'll be there if you fancy a go in the future.

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Cool. thank you. Well I made my first ever object and it was an incence burner for a friend to put on his shrine in his back yard. I'll take some photos and post them though. hopefully some time within the next few days, just varnishing now. Dead chuffed I was always crap at stuff like this when i was back in school. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE