Wetterlings mini axe

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've had 'mini' on the brain for awhile now so finally had to try one. I was thinking that the GB mini was a bit too mini, and the GB Kubben was quite a bit more expensive, so I went for the Wetterlings small axe. The specs are here http://www.wetterlings.se/the/index...e&id=71:small-axe&catid=34:wildlife&Itemid=57
Initially I wasn't sure whether I would like it or not, as the head felt much heavier than expected, and has a bit that is quite thick.
Here's it's arrival
IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

Unmasked
IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Handle end grain
IMG_2268.jpg

A top down view. Although the head/edge looks skewed it's actually not. The camera angle is making it look that way.
IMG_2270.jpg

Compared to the Scandinavian Forest Axe it is indeed 'mini'
IMG_2294.jpg

With winter coming on I wanted a chopping block for roughing out carvings in the basement. I used the mini to remove the rough bark so it didn't make such a mess in the house
IMG_2295.jpg

I tried it out chopping some poplar(Aspen) Even as thick as the head is, and having such a short handle, it still penetrates okay. It also pops the chips out nicely
IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

I found it to be quite comfortable held this way when carving. It just feels 'right' with my index finger along the side.
IMG_2309.jpg

Another view of the head
IMG_2310.jpg

After getting to use it for a few hours, I can say that I actually like it a lot. The short length is nice to carry. It will fit in a jacket pocket or small pack. I do wish the head was a wee bit lighter, even though it would take away from it's cutting ability somewhat.
I will add that I wasn't happy with the edge as it came so I spent a few hours reprofiling/sharpening and think it cuts much better.
All in all, I think it's a great little axe with a bit of work.
Obviously it's not going to chop as well as the Wildlife Hatchet, nor is it designed to be in the same league as it's larger cousins, but it certainly has it's place. I find that I prefer the short handle for any kind of carving/roughing out work. It gets a couple of these from me
:bigok::bigok:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had one of those for a while - mine wasn't as tidy as yours but I soon fettled that.

Handy wee things

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Interesting, I'e always dismissed them as silly (either carry a proper axe, a leuko or just use you knife), but I might have been wrong.

I wonder what old axe-heads are to be found in the barn, and what can be made from them...

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
you should try one, i think they're fantastic.
it was quite the revolution when i got my gränsfors mini.
no more leuku's for me.

if you intend to make your own, make sure its small enough.
my mini weighs 330g without sheath, so i doubt the head is any heavier than 250g.

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
you should try one, i think they're fantastic.
it was quite the revolution when i got my gränsfors mini.
no more leuku's for me.

if you intend to make your own, make sure its small enough.
my mini weighs 330g without sheath, so i doubt the head is any heavier than 250g.

I have some old fairly light axes out in the barn. All I need is to get one of the sorted (abused grind on most) and cut the handle down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE