Wetformed sheath and pouch

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Tried my hand at wetforming a pouch and a neck sheath for my Mora (10 points to the first person who works out why I turned it into a neck sheath rather than a belt sheath :rolleyes: )

The pouch was made by sewing two pieces of leather together flat and then wetting them and forcing a mould inside. The pics show before and after dyeing and burnishing. This was my first attempt at dyeing and I learned several things, especially to not be so liberal with the glue next time! And I will wear latex gloves! If anyone has any tips on dyeing leather - especially on getting an even coating – I would be grateful.

Before dyeing:
sheathandpouchbeforeyr0.jpg

After dyeing and burnishing:
wetform2eg5.jpg

wetform1gl9.jpg

Going to try some belts next.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
There looking really good :D
Let me guess you forgot to sew the belt loop on first before you sewed up the sheath ?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I realy like the pouch, I've tried wetforming a bit, but I'd like to try that method,

(for the 10points)
Did you do the same as I did and wait till the sheath was sewn together to add the loop???

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks great! - I especially like the pouch

- forgot to sew the loop before you started the pouch edge perchance? ;) - been there done that! :eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice!
I find dye takes unevenly to wet moulded leather - it could be something to do with some fibre bundles being compressed and other stretched...but I am no expert!
For a home made, almost black leather stain I rot a fistfull of wire wool in a coffeee jar of chip-shop vinegar for a couple of months.
Brush this onto veg tanned leather and the tannins react with it like majic , going "dark" - use brown boot polish for dark brown, black polish for black.....

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I find dye takes unevenly to wet moulded leather - it could be something to do with some fibre bundles being compressed and other stretched...but I am no expert!
For a home made, almost black leather stain I rot a fistfull of wire wool in a coffeee jar of chip-shop vinegar for a couple of months.
Brush this onto veg tanned leather and the tannins react with it like majic , going "dark" - use brown boot polish for dark brown, black polish for black.....

Thanks for the tip - I used Fieblings Mid Brown but I'd much rather use a "homebrew."

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Thanks for the comments. Not the belt loop, I had already made the mistake before beginning to sew!

Ahhhhh - that would be the 'marking on the wrong side' trick then..... a leftie / rightie when it shouldn't have been..... (been there done that too - too many times! :eek:)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
g4ghb wrote: Ahhhhh - that would be the 'marking on the wrong side' trick then..... a leftie / rightie when it shouldn't have been

Give that gentleman 10 points!:)

I took such a lot of care cutting the template from card and then put it down on the leather the wrong side up!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice looking work
Everyone makes mistakes though I made a left handed sheath for my sons knife but as it is a drawer queen it didnt get another (yet) :rolleyes:

And I will wear latex gloves! If anyone has any tips on dyeing leather - especially on getting an even coating – I would be grateful.

To dye leather more evenly I thin the dye with methylated spirits(denatured alcohol) and use a cloth to apply numerous coats,

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Originally posted by brancho:
To dye leather more evenly I thin the dye with methylated spirits(denatured alcohol) and use a cloth to apply numerous coats,

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try although I have to say that I quite like the marbled effect of slightly uneven dye take up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE