well made kit

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
A while back they used to offer some axes from Wetterlings as well. It's kind of funny how they offered a Wetterlings kit that was unfinished to the point that you had to shape and sand the handle as well as hang it, and it was more expensive than buying an already completed Wetterlings. That and the rest of the Wetterlings have since been taken off their site. It seems that he has nearly doubled the cost of many of the axes by slapping on a little paint and a slogan/motto. I'm not sure that they are really marketed toward someone that will actually use it, since anyone that has swung an axe a handful of times knows that a nice paint job isn't going to help your cutting performance and that the paint won't stay so pretty for long. I think a lot of their products are meant for some of the hipsters there in New York City that will never use it, but want to showcase it to their friends and feel more manly.
The Wandering Axeman did an interesting blog post about them a while back. http://wanderingaxeman.blogspot.com/2011/03/axe-as-status-symbol.html

I think this is connected with Best Made also. http://www.basecampx.com/contact/

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
They look overpriced to me. I'm no fan of paint on my axe handles.

You could get a custome built axe for that kind of money.

rg598

Native
Best Made axes buys production axes from other companies. They used to get most of them from Snow & Nealley, but now they have switched to Council Tool. From what I can see, they simply sand and paint the handles. They market their axes mostly to the hipster crowd here is NY art galleries and offices. There is nothing to indicate that their axes are any better in terms of performance than those made by the manufacturers themselves. There is no reason to pay the extra money for one of their axes.

The guy who started Best Made left the company and started Base Camp X. They do the exactly same thing there. Save your money and go directly to the manufacturer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE