Weekend Tipi Tenting and wildlife watching

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Weekend trip out to my local haunt. Time to test camping equipment and skills and also take a look at the trail cam. Cambridgeshire:

12728106615_5d51e944b0.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
Tipi Tent. Frontier Stove poking out the top. We were toasty and so warm. Can camp any time of the year in comfort. Really chuffed with that.

12728592444_636b3f6a7d.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
Treating my lady to candle light dinner.... Bushcraft style! She's lucky, and she knows it!

Checked my trail cam I have had up
12728020955_a997829ab7.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

[video=youtube_share;WvKJ5wgz6ss]http://youtu.be/WvKJ5wgz6ss[/video]
It's interesting as I have always understood Munjac to be solitary. But from my Trail Cam and previous recordings, they seem to be very social and hang out in groups.

http://youtu.be/PYjjFlbvVL4 - can't embed more than one vid.
I have never seen this before with the badgers. I knew there were at least 2. Perhaps a territory fight?

Saturday we had brother-in law down for a walk-about and play. Sunday we had friends over for a fire and BBQ. Everyone had a great time! I have some annual leave booked and will be extending the trips shortly.

Jackdaw

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that badgers (apart from cubs) are essentially loners who happen to live in communal setts. One such piece of evidence is that they have no social alarm call. If you have a field of feeding badgers and you startle one, it runs off without warning the others. It's quite facinating to see. It also adds light to why badgers are so often seen "fighting". It could have been for a number of reasons and a territorial dispute could well explain it. It was interesting to see the defensive posture of the animal backing away to the right of camera shot at the end of the dispute. A badger will always turn its head towards the threat. Which is why so many die from head injuries when they are hit by cars.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
That's interesting about Badger. I didn't know. I have set up the cam low to the ground now so hopefully close ups for next time!

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that badgers (apart from cubs) are essentially loners who happen to live in communal setts. One such piece of evidence is that they have no social alarm call. If you have a field of feeding badgers and you startle one, it runs off without warning the others. It's quite facinating to see. It also adds light to why badgers are so often seen "fighting". It could have been for a number of reasons and a territorial dispute could well explain it. It was interesting to see the defensive posture of the animal backing away to the right of camera shot at the end of the dispute. A badger will always turn its head towards the threat. Which is why so many die from head injuries when they are hit by cars.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE