Wee Borders meetup(pic heavy)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i have joined a community woodland recently,and so i invited a few fellow members of BCUK to come and test the place out this past weekend.

Anyway i thought you might like a look at our meet.

The meet started on Friday afternoon,i arrived on site about 2.30ish.I set up my tarp for the weekend.
woopbed640x480.jpg

After setting up i started to gather fire wood ready for the meet,a short while later Vince(Windward) and Gary turned up. As they set up their Tipi i got the fire going to get water boiling for a brew.Friday night was spent round the fire chatting and enjoying Vinces pasta for our evening meal:beerchug:

On Saturday Mary(Toddy) arrived early,after a good fry up Vince started to make nettle cordage to make a rustic necklace for himself.
Mary giving Vince a helping hand.
maryandvince640x480.jpg

After leaving Vince to his own devices i gave Mary and Gary a guided tour of the woodlands,as we got back to the fireside Craig(CraigM9) arrived.Once he was set up Mary showed us how to make pot stands out of willow.
mats640x480.jpg

Unfortunately Mary had to head back up the road late afternoon leaving the woods to us lads. Vince had brought a Salmon along for the Saturday evening meal and i took Langoustines,so we decided on a paella of sorts for eats,but not before we ate Craigs chicken curry,nans and poppadoms ;) along with a wee side order of pate,crackers,hummus and olives,:D .

Gary and Vince prepping.
vincegary1640x480.jpg

Ingredients :lmao:
teatennents640x480.jpg

Oops i mean ingredients
salmon1640x480.jpg

As the prep work was carried out Craig cut up fire wood and i split it.
Craig working up a thirst eeer i mean sweat:cool:
craig640x480.jpg

A few shots of the lads enjoying a swally.
Me,and Gary
garyandme640x480.jpg

Me,Vince and Craig with the one we caught earlier
mecraigvince640x480.jpg

Me,Gary and Vince and the wine began to flow :D
megaryvince640x480.jpg

Cooks discussing the best methods for bbq-ing Salmon.
mevince640x480.jpg

Well after the paella a few bevys were downed with red wine chasers,and midget gems for snacks:lmao:

On Sunday nobody was really hungry for breakfast :rolleyes:

Gary had to leave earlyish so i showed Craig and Vince how to make split willow figures,we also carried on making pot stands.

Craig and Vince made a little wildlife scene.
splitwillow1640x480.jpg

splitwillow640x480.jpg

Vince trying out his willow coaster.
vincemat640x480.jpg

Then it was time to go home:(

Anyway a great weekend and thanks for the company guys.
Thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Im just sorry that I couldn't make it :(
I should get a day off around the 18th of April :(
It looks like you had a grand weekend :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is a beautiful site :D and the company was excellent. :approve:
Assorted woodlands, wildlife rich ponds, covered areas for small groups, tree bogs.......though the coffin lying outside one did rather bode something or other...... :rolleyes: :D
I came home and couldn't make up my mind if my face was wind or Sun burnt :eek: Out of the sunshine it was freezing bitter cold, but in the Sun it was like Summer :)
Thanks for the invite Stuart :cool: and for posting the photos :)

Sandbender :)
The 'pot stands' are just tension trays. Awfully handy though, they keep hot pots off tent floors, they act as steamers and plates since willow is food safe, they make comfy dry seats or kneeling pads, can be used to give a dry base for a small fire, and they will even stop a stove sinking through the snow as it heats up :cool: the biggest ones I've made were about 70cms diametre.
I'll take some photos tomorrow.

atb,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a good spot you've found guys

Those trays look quite natty Mary, I think I'll be having a crack at those

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE