weaving a ring

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have a compass and would like to weave a lanyard to fit around it, anyone got some instruction I can follow.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I do not have a complete tutorial on this braid but see if this is sort of what you want.

This firepiston has a wooden ring that a lanyard can be put around.

firepistonlanyard38490ee.jpg

I used 3mm kangaroo lace, middled the strings and started with a simple 4-plait round braid. I estimated the loop diameter for the bushcrafter piston grooved piece and brought the two 4-plait pieces together at a slightly smaller diameter. Then braided 8-plait single diamond for a short piece then split back into 4-plait round. I forced this loop over the piston piece to test fit....nice and tight. After a good bit of 4-plait round on each tail I switched to flat 4-plait for behind the neck comfort and then joined these by backbraiding each into the other.

I put a contrasting cover knot over the 8-plait join as I had not done a very neat job of it.

Here is another view...substitute your compass as the wooden ring.

pistoncompression40843eu.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Here is another way to join the lanyard...a "fingercuff" adjustable sliding join.

stonelanyardfull3086qr7.jpg

The lanyard…. I started with 4 long strings. At the middle of the strings I did a bog standard 4-plait round braid, that I then joined into 8-plait. This made for a terminal loop. Then I split the braiding once again into long 4-plait braids. Instead of just joining these together though I “finger cuffed” these over the other thong to make a sliding join….this way the length of the thong can be adjusted AND a double loop of leather goes around the back of my neck to make this more comfortable.

stonelanyardcu3088gg2.jpg

Again a loop that would be braided to fit the compass, and a sliding adjustable length lanyard....this is my favored way of making neck lanyards now over the firesteel one above.

Simple 4-plait braid with only a short section of 8-plait to make that loop, and the fingercuffs are open 4-plait over the other side, terminated with a crown and wall knot.

I hope these help.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Does the compass have a slot or depression the lace will sit in?
The problem I can see is unless it's tight the compass will slip out over time as the briad stretches and settles.
Maybe a turks head knot tied around it and then worked into a lanyard or something would be a better bet - it would be easier to make it tight around the compass.

Are you coming to the moot? If so I'll bring my baldrick sheath for you to have a look at to show you what I mean.

Mark

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
great lanyards, but I want to make a ring about 2" dia to insert a compass into

Sorry but if you look at all closely you will see there is a ring in both of those lanyards that could be done at 2" round for a compass if it had a depression....

Turks head would likely be a good idea.

Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE