Waterproof jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Fairly essential kit in the UK!

I like my Barbour breathable but it is still heavy (1.5kg versus ca 900g for a Berghaus type goretex shell jacket) and I don't like the hood much.

For spring/summer I'd quite like a breathable green (not camo) waterproof jacket with a decent (mountain type) hood (preferably wired). Just a shell jacket, not an insulated one. The Norrona job on RM's website would be ideal, were it not for the divorce-inducing price tag of 300 quid.

I've seen German army surplus jackets - real goretex but I wondered if they looked a bit too military - I don't know if you can remove the German flags or not. I'm not sure if they are much lighter.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
military stuff by it's nature is going to be tougher-therefore heavy weight and unless it's brand new it could have been abused or damaged which sometimes is difficult to tell till it's too late.

about the badge, if it's a sticker, just peel it off.
if sewn on(more likely) look inside has it got tape covering the area inside if so when you undo it you will have to replace the tape to keep it waterproof.
another option is either to colour the badge black or glue one of your choice over it neither will effet the waterproofing.

wired hoods and cheap jackets don't go together, wired hoods are more a mountain thing and you'll be lucky to find it on a jacket under £100.

lowe alpine used to do a lightweight jacket in green they may still do the and price won't be as high.

also Brasher are worth a look i've seen alot of these around recently they look simular to a green wax jacket but smarter, i don't know wht the hood's like though.

you might be better off buying gear a little later in the year when everyone's buying shorts and sun hats! shops normally have a winter clearout.

also keep checking surplus stores occasionally you will find civilian gear that's unwanted or sold for cash, and you can pick up a bargain!

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
clearwater surplus in glasgow sell german goretex cags-mainly cammo I think.Theres another surplus shop in glasgow( cant remember the name ,sorry,)by Queens st station which sell the same items in a greyish green colour.about 40 quid I think.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like my wax jacket too, but it is heavy. You could have look in the sports shop the teenagers frequent.....I got a Lowe Alpine triple point reduced to £65 in one of the shops (can't remember which one...visited them *all*, spent a fortune :roll: ) in the MacArthur Glen designer outlet at Almondvale. if you take your wife too, and she's spending as well, I'm sure you'll get away with it :wink:
Some of the gear the kids wear is actually excellent quality, and a lot of them are fussy about the label. Even if it's a good name, sooner or later it'll go on the bargain rails, especially as Rappelby2000 said, when the seasons change.
Height of cool in the computer labs at Uni just now appears to be complete mountaineering kit :?: The North Face and Vango factory shop sales at Port Glasgow used to be excellent for kit, I miss them now.

Toddy

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I have a Keela jacket and a Sprayway. Only the Sprayway is goretex, although the Keela has never let me down yet. Both have wired hoods and are lightweight, but both cost £175. I bought the Keela 15 years ago and its still going strong.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Doc - Millets have been doing a Berghaus Cornice in Goretex in green for quite a while for about £150, possibly less (I've had blue versions of this model in the past and they're superbly waterproof for hillwalking etc). They're ultra lightweight but you have to be careful if you brush against bramble etc (I punctured the arm of my first one and it leaked thereafter) and they're easily damaged by sparks. Great coats but probably not the best for bushcraft.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ronso said:
clearwater surplus in glasgow sell german goretex cags-mainly cammo I think.Theres another surplus shop in glasgow( cant remember the name ,sorry,)by Queens st station which sell the same items in a greyish green colour.about 40 quid I think.

I think it's 'Adventure One', been meaning to go in for a while.
Toddy

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
yep thats the one.If doc comes down from his highland fastness.they do a lot of keela stuff too(see celtic dragons post).ive got a keela cag and a couple of fleeces.bombproof cags,bit heavyish but very breathable. Bit worried I couldnt remember the name of the shop now.I suppose old age disnae come by itself....ive got a keela cag and a couple of fleeces,bit heavyish but very......... who keeps putting my shoes in the fridge?

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
For value for money, looks like Keela are hard to beat. They do an olive green breathable waterproof jacket in a peached microfibre (non-rustle) called the Ottawa for about £99, with a wired peak. Search this site and you'll find a review! I've seen them on ebay brand new for £50. If you want something more serious then their Munro can be had for £125 if you shop around. That baby has snow skirt, pit zips, and "dual protection system" waterproofing, which is allegedly far superior to goretex, and is used by some UK mountain rescue teams. Available in a colour called "covert", with black reinforced bits. Sadly their network of sellers is patchy, so getting to see the goods can be tricky if you don't live near a supplier... so I haven't bought yet!!!

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
Keela do ,or at least 3 years ago, did mail order and have a factory shop with very compitive prices.clearwater is the only supplier in the glasgow area ,that im aware of.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Keela were at last years show in London (the 1 that has just passed), I think they do all the shows, so popping over to 1 could be a good option as most suppliers are displayed at them. To find your nearest dealer email them www.keela.co.uk has the addy on it. When I showed them the jacket at the show the first comment out of their mouths were "my god, I thought all those would be in the bin by now". Oh and yes they do have a shop at their facctory and did I mention they also do a Ventile jacket!!!!! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Celtic Dragon said:
......Oh and yes they do have a shop at their factory and did I mention they also do a Ventile jacket!!!!! :D

No, but you did now :) :) Thank you; HWMBLT's birthday is coming up and I've been looking for one that won't cost so much he'll try to keep it 'good' instead of just wearing the blasted thing.

Cheers,
Toddy

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Doc said:
For spring/summer I'd quite like a breathable green (not camo) waterproof jacket with a decent (mountain type) hood (preferably wired). Just a shell jacket, not an insulated one. The Norrona job on RM's website would be ideal, were it not for the divorce-inducing price tag of 300 quid.
Any thoughts/recommendations?

Berghaus Lightning was my choice - olive, longish old-fashioned kag in 3 layer Goretex (the toughest, I'm told) Wired hood, map pocket, articulated sleeves. Basic but superbly functional.

Pretty effin' dear, though. Around 175 quid from Blacks Manchester.

One came up on Ebay 3 days later for 115 :roll:

They are unfashionable/uncommon, so tend not to be overstocked (and therefore into sales)

HTH,

Jim.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks folks - all very useful and reflects much of my own feeling. Keela Munro looks great for hill use in Scotland. I'll try to see one 'in the flesh.' I'm not sure about the colour though - 'Covert' looks to me like 'Beige'. Why do they use such daft names for colours? Berghaus make jackets in 'Ammonite' - completely meaningless. Grrr.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE