Wasting my time with a Goloklica?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I got a Golok in a trade last year with the intention of modding it into a reasonable heavy camp knife.
Eventually I have got round to starting the work! Design was fine and I am happy with what I am aiming for but as I have started regrinding the
blade to my design I saw a couple of threads on here concerning the breaking of blades on cheapo copy Goloks.I am pretty sure that mine is one of the
cheapo copies and is certainly not a Martindale.It came in a bayonet style sheath which does not fit well at all and is pretty rough tbh.
My question is this : do I continue the modding in the hope that this is one of the better Chinese copies and will not be prone to break , or do I stop wasting my time
and materials on it?
My own instinct is to carry on as A. it will be good experience , B. I have already invested time and money in it , and C. I do not intend to batten with it anyway,which seems to be when the problems arose with the others in the threads I saw. I am not sure that I will want to invest the time and money required to make a nice leather jacket for it but I still have the bayonet thingy to store it safely in.
Carry on or Quit now?
All comments appreciated.
Cheers , Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Carry on!
Even if it turns out to be one of the rubbish ones the excercise will be good practice for when you buy a good one :)
If it turns out to be a good copy then you have lost nothing :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Thanks for that guys. Two of the members whose opinions I value the most concur with my own instinct.
I am going to finish it just for the fun of the making. Huge heavy chopper type knives are not my favourite; I prefer small and sharp , so I have a feeling that this will spend lots of time in the sheath and none at all on my belt. Still , as an exercise it should be valuable and fun. When I have finished altering the blade shape I will take photos of the re-handling.
I have some nice Jabrock courtesy of a member of bcuk to make the new handle.
Cheers , Simon

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Carry on mate, make mistakes on something cheap, don't make the sheath until you have put the knife through It's paces and you know it won't break.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE