Wasp nest help

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Hi all.

My gran has a wasp nest in her roof. Is there a way of getting rid without killing them all?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Cover your arms and head with something sweet, jam or honey.
Go into roof space.
Knock down wasp's byke.
Pick up byke.
Exit roof space.
Exit house.
Keep going.
Most of the wasps will be with you and few left in the roof.

Better still.

Call the council pest control officer.

Personally I don my bee veil, go into roof with a torch, bread knife and dustbin sack.
Put torch shining on byke but away from me (errant wasps will go for the light).
Put bag over byke, cut byke down with knife into the bag.
Carry closed bag away.
There are normally very few wasps actually in the roof space, they are more interested in being out in the sunshine or inside the byke.

I rarely get stung, either by wasps or bees and I don't use gloves but do put elastic bands around cuffs so the little beasts don't get trapped. If it bothers you, good old Marigolds work well but avoid yellow.

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
They're blighters aren't they? There's a couple of nests in my elderly parents house... we've gone down the wasp nest killer route using the powder as we can't access the nest properly for the foam sprays. I'd love a better way! Anyone know of anything you can you use things to deter them from the nest so they abandon it?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Poke an old fashoned mothball into the middle of the byke and they won't be back next year but it needs some nerve to do it. Try taping a moth ball to a stick, pushing it in from a distance and leaving the area and the stick in place.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
They'll start to be a nuisance soon, best to destroy the nest if its in a roof space. Nippon wast nest destroyer foam works well, only a few quid, shoots from 10' away. I had a nest in a bird box by my sons bedroom window, it worked with zero prisoners. Do it on a cool nogut when the nest is full.

Alternatively you could find where they are accessing the property and fashion an excluder which lets them out but not in?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE