Wareham Forest ( New Forest ) and camping

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Just visited the Forestry commision site for wareham forest, they have symbols on the page to show activities on there. Besdies walking and horse riding it has a tent symbol, does this mean there is a camp site there or can you hammock in the forest itself. I have checked out the OS map but see no signs of a campsite so feel rather confused.

Any help!!

Thanks

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There are formal camping and caravanning sites within the forest boundaries (it's a holiday area close to the sea, etc) but, as with the vast majority (if not all) of Forestry Commission sites, there is no legal right to camp in the forests or use hammocks and fires.

Unlucky.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
:rant: That's stupid, they should let us camp in our hammocks...isn't the whole idea of camping in a hammock to minimalise the impact we have on our surrounding environment! fires I can understand but I don't see why they wont let us camp as long as we leave no traces that we were ever there.

Sorry, Rant over

:)

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Well you wouldnt believe a reply I got from a campsite who offer you the chance to camp amongst the trees, I asked " I take it you mean tents but, are tree protected hammocks allowed"

LMAO

Here was part of the reply I got.

"Thank you for your enquiry. Camping amongst the trees is for tents. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate hammocks with tarpaulins."

So I can pitch a tent amongst trees but not a hammock because it cant be accomodated, amongst trees!!!!

Im lost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE