Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Anyone going this year?

It's always a great place to pick up surplus kit on the cheap

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
new venue too, said to have better acess and facilities - both were an issue in the past

I go ever 4-5 years

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Saturday for me.
http://www.thewarandpeacerevival.co.uk/
Is there going to be many battles in the new site, Military Odyssey had battles from many periods all day long. Never a dull moment.
The Hop Farm only had one big one at the end of the evening and there's only so many pimped up 110's that I can take.

You're right about the surplus kit market though, absolutely cracking.
Stall%20Map%20A3%20(compressed).jpg

Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
When I lived in Kent - West Malling, so just up the road- I used to go every year. Great place to pick up all sorts of everything, and lots of interesting things. But I could never really feel totally at ease with some of the re enactors and other people walking around in various uniforms. Anyone else felt the same? The SS ones stand out the most. I know they talk about just being interested in the military side of things, but seriously? Do they really not understand what they stood for? And last time I went I saw a family in various Nazi uniforms... Dad in SS, mum in BDM, and kids in HJ. I know it's good to play as a family, but ***? And people in Croatian HOS gear. Ditto. Dressing up as a Roman legionary or taking part in Sealed Knot Civil War battles seems less offensive. War is war, but the passage of time eases the pain of what the reality actually is. And while I am ranting, airsofters in full on MTP gear and Afghan kit, when there's lads their age or younger dead or losing limbs wearing the same gear.
Rant over.
Just enjoy it for the interesting stuff, ignore the rest, I spose.

When I lived in Kent - West Malling, so just up the road- I used to go every year. Great place to pick up all sorts of everything, and lots of interesting things. But I could never really feel totally at ease with some of the re enactors and other people walking around in various uniforms. Anyone else felt the same? The SS ones stand out the most. I know they talk about just being interested in the military side of things, but seriously? Do they really not understand what they stood for? And last time I went I saw a family in various Nazi uniforms... Dad in SS, mum in BDM, and kids in HJ. I know it's good to play as a family, but ***? And people in Croatian HOS gear. Ditto. Dressing up as a Roman legionary or taking part in Sealed Knot Civil War battles seems less offensive. War is war, but the passage of time eases the pain of what the reality actually is. And while I am ranting, airsofters in full on MTP gear and Afghan kit, when there's lads their age or younger dead or losing limbs wearing the same gear.
Rant over.

what was it general grant said, about it being a good job war is so terrible.. Otherwise we would love it too much?
i think you have to have a balance.
remember that dumb documentary that disgraced reporter did on the show a few years ago? At one point they zoomed in on a remote control tank! Obviously model vehicles are sinister?? It's a great day out for youngsters, I would have loved to have gone as a kid...

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Rant over.

I saw that SS family as well, there was something definitely very wrong going on there.
The Nazi fixation set certainly draw a pretty rum bunch. Two years ago at W&P there was a stall run by a bloke and his (admittedly cute) BDM uniformed girlfriend selling reproduction Nazi paperwork, nationalist publications and a line of S&M orientated adult novels that he assured me were top notch.
The organisers of W&P and MO have a standing rule that only Waffen SS and Wehrmacht reenactors can appear in uniform, no political stuff.
On my first camping trip to MO a few years ago I saw one creepy little f***er dressed in full Allgemeine SS (black) uniform walking a rottweiler wearing a dog coat emblazoned with the SS runen. The pub doormen sensibly told him to eff off and I don't think it was the no dogs rule.
W&P also draws Nazi reenactors actually from Germany, a rough looking crew that would certainly get pinched for dressing up like this back home.
I thought that the night time atmosphere was a little intimidating at W&P but the pub buzz at MO was much mellower with all the different periods together.
[video=youtube;PiLVAz-Jczg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=PiLVAz-Jczg&NR=1[/video]
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Well, I went to W&P last Saturday and the surplus market was huge.
I started rummaging busily at 9am and didn't finish till around 3pm with 3 tea breaks.

Items bought....
Patt. 37 small pack, British, dated 1940, a little grubby but structurally perfect. £3
Patt. 37 small pack, inc. L straps, Dutch M45-50, mint. £3
Patt. 44 alu. water btl. cup & cover, Dutch M45-50, mint. £3
Patt. 43 "Respirator, anti-gas, light" bag, Dutch M45-50, mint. £3
MOD black 30l field pack, BNIB. £15 (An excellent little rucksack).
2 x MOD sweat rags, BNIB. £2
6 x Patt. 37 utility straps w. metal buckles, Dutch M45-50, mint. £3
6 x PLCE webbing straps w. metal & side rel. buckles and ladder locks. £3
2 x French CE camo short shorts. £10
Large roll of MOD black nasty. £1 (To wrap up everything else and sneak them back on Ryanair).

An altogether good haul I think and great value for £46.
Just about every thing the bushcrafter needs in the line of clothing, load carrying and doss kit was available.

A quick note about the spazi Nazi blight. There was a group of East German Grenztruppen (border troops) re-enactors attending and I overheard one member who had been an actual Grenztruppen Leutnant (and probably still wearing his issue uniform) give out stink about them. He was disgusted by the fact that they were allowed to parade around unchallenged and that he was viewed as the bad guy.
See you all at Military Odyssey next month.
Happy trails...torc.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I went on the Sunday - good day out, but a lot of very strange people there! Random individuals dressed up and waiting for people to take photos of them posing next to some holes which they have dug. Still, the old military vehicles were impressive though- the effort that must go into keeping them running must be immense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE