Wanted : Old Springs from chest expander

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Hi, bit of a weird one, but does anyone have an old chest exerciser/expander in their garage? You know the ones, where if you over egg them they pinch your arms and chest like buggery!

I'm, constructing a pole lathe, but my better half doesnt want me taking up the whole garden with the pole setup, so im gonna go for a vertical spring set up instead.

Let me know if you've got one and i'll pay you the packaging costs via paypal

Hope someone can help
:hammock:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
can't help you with springs but a chap I know uses bungi straps.... the things with hooks either end for attaching items to car roof racks etc

might be another avenue to try...

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
My father had a set of these. One day while using them the hair on his chest got stuck in the springs! OOOOUCH!!!!! Threw them out next day.:yikes:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You may find the springs too snappy for a pole lathe. You really need a smooth action as would be the case with a springy pole. Bungee is the best alternative, or an archery bow suspended above the lathe with the cord hooked onto the string. If you do go with the springs, be prepared for the racket. On the upstroke, the spring will snap closed with a thwack - completely spoils the peace and harmony you get when using a pole lathe IMO.

Eric

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If you bolt an upright to either side and stretch a bungee between them, then take your "drive cord" from that to your treadle, that will work. look at the pic below and imagine a horizontal bungee at the top (gives you the idea)

Pole-lathe.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
the other important thing to remember is that you need your lathe spring to be adjustable to get varying degrees of tension. you need more torque to turn bowls for example. With bungee or inner tube this is quick and easy. LOL I wouldnt like to be stood near your lathe if the springs broke off theirmounting and were flailing about in mid air.....:)

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
cheers fir the responses guys, ill look into using the bungee idea, ill post up some pics when it's complete. On easter break at the mo so i've got alot of time on my hands:pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE