Walnut Pocket Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Pocket spoon in seasoned Walnut, this one was a challenge to carve as the wood is quite hard and due to the high silica content of Walnut it does tend to dull your tools, nothing regular stropping doesn't fix though, the spoon has my favoured teardrop bowl shape, a nice tapered handle which fits the hand beautifully and my usual off the knife finish.

Bottom photo with a SAK for scale.

53843636739_dff20dfd44_z.jpg

53843636744_0e27432938_z.jpg

Last edited:

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Another gorgeous piece, Mark.

I've been working on a coffee scoop from a piece of walnut, but I've had the blank for years and it's seasoned like granite. I (and my hook knife) dread going back to it, but we'll get there eventually!

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Another gorgeous piece, Mark.

I've been working on a coffee scoop from a piece of walnut, but I've had the blank for years and it's seasoned like granite. I (and my hook knife) dread going back to it, but we'll get there eventually!
Cheers mate.

Re the hard as nails wood, if i have pieces like that that seem impossible to do anything with i put them in boiling water until they become saturated, you will know when it's done as the wood will sink, I did that last year with some rock hard Beech and it worked a treat, made the wood much easier to carve even with arthritic hands.

Reactions: GreyCat and Foogs

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Cheers mate.

Re the hard as nails wood, if i have pieces like that that seem impossible to do anything with i put them in boiling water until they become saturated, you will know when it's done as the wood will sink, I did that last year with some rock hard Beech and it worked a treat, made the wood much easier to carve even with arthritic hands.

Excellent, thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE