Visiting remote ponds

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Borrowed a friend's bushplane, filled my pockets with kit, and landed on the ice at four back-country ponds. Sure beats walking.

DSC_0762.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
braver man than me! - I presume experience tells you the ice is thick enough! :eek:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I would think 2 feet should do it! :eek:

If I remember correctly the 'ice road truckers' hawl huge loads over a foot or so of ice! :drive:

- not sure I would though unless i'd fitted my truck with a 'primed' sunroof and an ejector seat ala a fastjet pilot! ;) - them are brave guys!!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
thinking more seriously though, landing on ice before you have any way of checking the thickness takes some balls, would be a pretty cold swim if you got it wrong......

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
thinking more seriously though, landing on ice before you have any way of checking the thickness ....

Just as with a sand bar or field, one usually makes a low, slow pass to eyeball it before attempting to land. There's always an element of risk of course, and ultimately you either accept it or go home. Around here at this time of year, sticks and logs hidden by snow are a greater worry, or crusty snow that traps the tires. We have very cold temps, good clear ice and not much snow right now, so the hazards are minimal. I keep kit in my pockets just in case - knife, fire starters, first aid, signal mirror, compass and most important of all a cell phone.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I keep kit in my pockets just in case - knife, fire starters, first aid, signal mirror, compass and most important of all a cell phone.

I'm not surprised you plan for the worst I know I would!

How well is the cell phone reception coverage over there? we have dead areas here and as an island are pretty densely populated in comparison to you. I expected there were vast areas of lovely wilderness with no coverage.....

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
And how do the wheels behave in the slippery?

I was wondering the same i landed at newark in the ice and was a bit hairy as they use the thrusters in reverse to slow down is it simmilar for a prop plane, or have you got an anchor you throw out the window?

clijoe

Feb 4, 2010
Washington
I like the plane :) Did you check the ice thickness? Or have someone check it for you? I don't think I would consider landing on it if I just assumed it would be thick enough :p

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
And how do the wheels behave in the slippery?

As long as there's air over the control surfaces, either from forward motion or the prop, control's not a problem, it's all aerodynamic. And stopping is easy because the prop has a variable pitch. It's a 7-foot diameter speed brake if you make it go flat. Once stopped, though, the wind blew me down the ice a couple times. Had to jump out, grab a strut, and swing the airplane around by hand to where I wanted it pointed for take-off.

Its a wee bit different from how H D Thoreau would recall it!

The little gay fellow who took his laundry home to his mother? Yeah, that's not me. ;)

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Ah, that's the way to travel.

I've always fancied flying but never been up in anything but a paraglider. Know a few folk who had microlights back in the 'if you can build it you can fly it" days and they knew how to enjoy themselves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE