Via Ferratta in Wales

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Me and a couple of friends are thinking about doing a trip to either France or Italy this summer to do some via ferratta routes.
I have done a bit of research on the internet & looking at guidebooks in shops. Whilst doing this I went on to Wikipedia where it says there are via ferrata's in Wales ? I have not been able to find this anywhere on the internet.
If it exists does anyone know where ? The only one I know of in the UK is Honister Quarry in the Lake District.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've never heard of any in Wales either, but the quarries above Llanberis would be great for it. On days that were too wet for climbing we used to go exploring and scrambling around in them, often using the rotten old ironwork and ladders left behind by the quarrymen.

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
The Dinorwig Slate quarries would be ideal for such a venture, if only you could get permission. Most of the people going there (including myself) are technically trespassing once you go off the marked paths.

I've never heard of any in Wales either, but the quarries above Llanberis would be great for it. On days that were too wet for climbing we used to go exploring and scrambling around in them, often using the rotten old ironwork and ladders left behind by the quarrymen.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
?I understood the via ferrata at Honister had been closed down but couldn't find any confirmation from a quick look on the internet - pleased if it hasnt' though

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Via Ferrata is excellent fun, Gorges of Durance in France is cool, but beware of the 'exposure' which can come very quick once commited.

There is a mini via ferrata in Fife, the ELIE CHAIN walk. It has 7 sections of chain, no real kit required. Quite exciting on a high tide or if there's a swell.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yes it looks fun, lots of video's on youtube. The exposure wont be a problem, we are all experienced rock climbers although not that active nowadays, and just looking for something different.Will look up on the gorges of Durance, France is favourite at the moment purely because the guide books we have seen seem better than those for the Dolomites, although we have much more memorable climbing trips in Italy than France. Who knows ?

Via Ferrata is excellent fun, Gorges of Durance in France is cool, but beware of the 'exposure' which can come very quick once commited.

There is a mini via ferrata in Fife, the ELIE CHAIN walk. It has 7 sections of chain, no real kit required. Quite exciting on a high tide or if there's a swell.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
?I understood the via ferrata at Honister had been closed down but couldn't find any confirmation from a quick look on the internet - pleased if it hasnt' though

it did get closed down but i think its been re-opened and they've added some new stuff now from the looks of the website. good to see the place taking off despite mark weir's untimely death he started a great thing

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yes it looks fun, lots of video's on youtube. The exposure wont be a problem, we are all experienced rock climbers although not that active nowadays, and just looking for something different.Will look up on the gorges of Durance, France is favourite at the moment purely because the guide books we have seen seem better than those for the Dolomites, although we have much more memorable climbing trips in Italy than France. Who knows ?

The Via Ferrata in THONES, between Annecy and la Grand Bornand, is very exposed too. And we did not do it, my brother got spooked. Abseiling is banned on that one. The one on the way up Col De la Colombiere, passed Grand Bornand looked good. I passed it road cycling up the Colombiere. Also going the other way toward Ugine from Annecy is the Col de Aravis Via ferrata. I think you will find less loose rock in the Alps.

We never did the ROC de TOVIERE one in Tignes/Val d'Isere, it's long and exposed.

Exposure - we find it worse on Via Ferratas than multi pitch routes eg Verdon Gorge. It's because you can be on a relaxed slabby route then all of a sudden you turn a corner and there is exposure.

We have done the two in Les Orres as well, good warm up routes.

Have fun, we will be out there for two weeks from next saturday. I'm only doing two weeks abroad, not my normal 6 this year.

Bec_J

Jun 29, 2012
Suffolk
I am a climber too, and have done three trips to the Dolomites, based in Cortina, specifically to play on via ferrata. I can't recommend the place highly enough. Any time after the first week in june and the lifts will be open to get you access to the higher peaks, though if you prefer to walk (and I do) then walking to a rifugio and then walking in daily from there is brilliant. The Tre Cime are awesome, and the via ferrata around there are simply stunning - Toblino eases you in nicely and then there are some higher and more exciting routes that start off in WWII tunnels before allowing you to summit onto a fabulously exposed ridge. Col Rosa gives you pretty nearly a full vertical km of height from a campsite at Camping Olympia in Cortina itself. The Cicerone guidebooks are fine, and got us to everywhere we planned to be. We also had a play above Lake Garda, but I couldn't stand the all the thousands of people, and the solitude of the Dolomites suited me really well- I do not cope with Chamonix in June: if you've been there you know what I mean. Have a fabulous trip and let us know how it goes?

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Thanks for the info, I will look in to the areas you mention. It's good to know also that the cicerone guides are good. I have only looked at them briefly in a shop.
Thanks
Eifion

I am a climber too, and have done three trips to the Dolomites, based in Cortina, specifically to play on via ferrata. I can't recommend the place highly enough. Any time after the first week in june and the lifts will be open to get you access to the higher peaks, though if you prefer to walk (and I do) then walking to a rifugio and then walking in daily from there is brilliant. The Tre Cime are awesome, and the via ferrata around there are simply stunning - Toblino eases you in nicely and then there are some higher and more exciting routes that start off in WWII tunnels before allowing you to summit onto a fabulously exposed ridge. Col Rosa gives you pretty nearly a full vertical km of height from a campsite at Camping Olympia in Cortina itself. The Cicerone guidebooks are fine, and got us to everywhere we planned to be. We also had a play above Lake Garda, but I couldn't stand the all the thousands of people, and the solitude of the Dolomites suited me really well- I do not cope with Chamonix in June: if you've been there you know what I mean. Have a fabulous trip and let us know how it goes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE