Urgent pattern/ tutorial needed

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi folks hope you all had a good un,

Its is my brothers birthday in a week and getting him into casuall conversation I managed to find out something he would like.

I need a pattern/ tutorial for an old style drawstring coin pouch. You know the ones where a person walks in to ye olde inn orders a room and throws a pouch full of coins onto the bar.

Google is not being very helpfull so hopefully somebody here might know;

Many thanks

Craig

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think you are looking at something like a circle of leather with holes punched round the edge, and a cord/thong though.

you would need a big bit of flexible stuff. I have some suitable if you need it.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I think Tengu has it pretty much right. If you want a more shaped pouch, two U shaped bits of fabric sewed together along the curved edge then turned inside out will produce something like this

best way if you need a quick pattern is to cut up some spare fabric (old tshirt etc) and adapt it till it is what you want, take it apart and there is your pattern

rancid badger

Hey up CBJ, Tengu's got it really, your best bet would be to knock up a template before actually committing to cut any leather.

a simple circle is all you need but you'll find it'll probably be bigger than you might have expected.

Ideally, you want something no more than 1.5mm thick, pigskin is good but goat skin is excellent.

I also used some European Water Buffalo a while back, which was very strong, soft and veg tanned, so you could dye it no trouble at all, I also made this with it:
PA010134copyd.jpg

The strap shows the natural colour quite nicely. I'm still waiting for Leprevo to get some fresh stock in as this stuff went out fast!

good luck with the project anyway and i hope this helps in some way:eek:

atb

R.B.

ps: G4'S got it nailed!

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the help folks much appreciated.

I have got some doe skin left over from when the missus made me some boots and that is real lovely stuff to work with. Ill cut out a pattern like you suggested and take it from there.

Very nice work there badger I like the decoration (is it burned on by any chance???).

Thanks

Craig

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
these are the patterns I started with.....

not great but will give you a starting point I guess

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
As it will be a 'purse' don't forget to give it with a coin inside - I'm not at all superstitious mind, I just love to keep traditions alive ;)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Again folks many thanks for all the help Im pretty pleased with how it turned out

Heres the pics:

207ns6s.jpg

24e9oi0.jpg

I used the u pattern and it worked great.Also the thong is long enough that the pouch can be threaded over itself onto the belt

Craig

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE