Unusual looking wasp

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
There have been some great insects around this year. We found this wasp in the moth trap, in the morning. Its an ichenumonid wasp...........
ichenumonidwaspks5.jpg

Anyone else seen any strange looking insects...........

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Keith_Beef said:
But the guy on wildaboutbritain.co.uk might have misspelt it...

Try "ichneumonid wasp", instead.

K.
Ahhhh, that will explain something, still does not make the pronounciation (sp? :D ) any better though. Cheers Keith............

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers guys............Yes it is a wasp, yes I think it would be able to sting and yes it is both funky and groovy.
Galemys........I agree it does look like the Yellow Ophion, ophion lutus, but it says they only grow to 20 mm and mine is bigger than that ???...........

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Jon Pickett said:
Cheers guys............Yes it is a wasp, yes I think it would be able to sting and yes it is both funky and groovy.
Galemys........I agree it does look like the Yellow Ophion, ophion lutus, but it says they only grow to 20 mm and mine is bigger than that ???...........
Oh my god it's a mutant! :eek:
I believe these kind of parasitory wasps don't sting in self-defence, but only to stun their victims and subsequently lay eggs in them so their offspring can feed on the paralyzed body.
Up until now no humans have been reported as victims but off course this can also mean that the tiny wasplings(?) do a very thorough job.... :lmao:

Tom

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Jon Pickett said:

Jon , One should not brag about the size of one's Ophion Lutus..............Didn't your grandmother teach you anything? :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE