Unless my ears deceive me...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...the Nightingale has been singing its heart out for the last two evenings...and is in full song as I type this...wish I had a decent recorder to share the experience with you...

This is as early as I have ever known a Nightingale to sing...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stunning birds. They used to inhabit the farm when we were down your way - always loved hearing them in the evening. Incredibly busy song...always wanted to say "annnnnd breathe" when they stop :)

None of them here sadly :(. I miss the skylarks too - I used to always take a day off and lie on my back on the bronze age hill fort and have them sing to just me. I miss that.

Heres a great recording of a nightingale

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1378744/nightingale_song/

Red

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
It is indeed an honour to hear this bird in full song...I always picture running water over rounded boulders...its as if the song "drips" with joy and heartbreak alternately...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
There's two of them at it tonite...territorial sing off, or male and female???
Interestingly, how many other "songbirds" give vent after dark?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's two of them at it tonite...territorial sing off, or male and female???
Interestingly, how many other "songbirds" give vent after dark?

Grasshopper warbler. Admittedly not much of a song - more like a fishing reel spooling. Heard one this evening. Also my second cuckoo of the year, the first one being friday.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Grasshopper warbler. Admittedly not much of a song - more like a fishing reel spooling. Heard one this evening. Also my second cuckoo of the year, the first one being friday.

Not sure I've heard one myself...Have listened to a recording, and will keep an ear out for it...Was it early evening when you heard it? Just curious to know what other songbirds sing late into the night...

Heard a cuckoo today too, when out paddling...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
About 7pm tonight. It will be a passage bird and will have moved on tomorrow. I've never seen one as they call from deep cover, usually in scrub, and afternoons and evening seems to be their time. However a birder friend of mine says they will call in the middle of the night. Only thing you can confuse them with is a grasshopper, and they are considerably louder than any insect.

Blackbird calls pretty late too, and robin - usually one of the first to call in the day, often before sunrise. Starlings will set up a noise if you disturb their roost.

Nightjars aren't really songbirds, but they do make a great noise! Spooked me the first time I heard it, especially when they do a wing clap as well.

Weirdest noise of all though is manx shearwater. Have a listen if you can find a recording, then imagine 10,000 of them all at once. I stayed for a week on Skomer island, and the sound was indescribable after dark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE