Universal Basic Income

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
LOL. I was thinking more of the buildings you're inside instead. We don't bat an eye at the storm itself if it's that mild. But we cringe at the thought of the days or weeks after without electricity for the air conditioner in the >90f (>32c) heat with >85% humidity (the basic conditions that spawn these storms)

Well when I was out working today, saw 18 treess uprooted and blown over, over half my fence was nlown over and all over the road, about 40feet in length. £142 in posts and postcrete I didntw ant to spend.

twice had to divert route because roads were impassable with trees.
local church lost its spire

various chimneys blown off and crashed in to cars

most of my spare wood is now strewn round garden.

did pick up a back seat load of firewood from on my travels....
4000 houses without power,

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well when I was out working today, saw 18 treess uprooted and blown over, over half my fence was nlown over and all over the road, about 40feet in length. £142 in posts and postcrete I didntw ant to spend.

twice had to divert route because roads were impassable with trees.
local church lost its spire

various chimneys blown off and crashed in to cars

most of my spare wood is now strewn round garden.

did pick up a back seat load of firewood from on my travels....
4000 houses without power,
Yeah. That's the damage usually associated with a Cat1 here as well: downed trees, roadsigns, billboards, and power lines, damage windows from flying debris, etc. (few if any major damages like flattened buildings or autos blown around) A lot of people don't realize it but the downed trees are caused as much by the rain as the wind: the excess rainfall saturates the ground and weakens its grip on the roots.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
i certainly agree with most of your assessments. My only objection might be the cost of lunch at work. Sure if you eat at the company cafeteria or a local pub or other place charging for the meal; but I believe most people have the ability to simply bring a packed lunch from home (either a sandwich or leftovers from supper the night before and a piece of fruit, etc)

I agree its barmy, ive always had packed lunch since school. Its stupid to waste money at starbucks to get morning cofee on way to work, whats wrong with thermos from home, or wait till work. and going out at lunch to get expensive food, mad.
im not saying I agree with it, im saying that people do waste money on it.
I knwo lads straight out of college with huge student debts on lower rung of job aldder would go out to pub lunches with otehr people in office just to show they werre sociable and try and get promotions, they also competed with each otehr doing large amounts of unpaid overtime, the managers took advantage basically to see who was desperate to get the promotion, diabolical behavior from employers.

I came in at 8 an hour before everyone else ( IT department, we got most work done when office monkeys werent there to get in teh way) and yet even tho left at 5, i got told I should hang on unpaid in case there were any problems. How long I asked only need to give my wife a time to collect me, thinking they meant 15 mins, no, they meants several hours unpaid every night, ******** to that. so they sacked me on christmas eve

Reactions: santaman2000

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Yeah. That's the damage usually associated with a Cat1 here as well: downed trees, roadsigns, billboards, and power lines, damage windows from flying debris, etc. (few if any major damages like flattened buildings or autos blown around) A lot of people don't realize it but the downed trees are caused as much by the rain as the wind: the excess rainfall saturates the ground and weakens its grip on the roots.
In somerset all the ground is saturated, a lot of the treeses I saw were on the edge of fields on the levels, alongside the drainage canals, but I did see one tree that had a diameter of about 5ft, bit of a monster that narrowly missed a gypsy camp.

Willow trees especially blow over at the drop of a hat, we removed a lot from the garden as the morning after moving house, having no sleep, 5am police knock on door, your tree has just blocked the main road....of coarse I did manage to impress him by a swift truckers hitch in the dark with no sleep....

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
All those expressing an early opinion might do well to hang fire for a bit and wait til the research has some decent results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE