Ultralight backpacking and fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was up in the hills last week and sometimes camping near sea lochs too. Anyway I wondered about fishing. My experience equates to fishing off piers and harbours with my Dad as a kid with short rods with the reel type that sticks out from the rod (as opposed to my Dad's really good and really long rod with a reel that is close to the rod (possibly a barrel but not sure). Anyway, whilst we had success (usually between 15 and 30 sardine sized fish in a few hours) we also had some poor showings.

Anyway I was thinking that I could perhaps find a relatively cheap set-up that I could use to fish from shorelines or piers, hettys and harbours when out backpacking. Not sure where exactly but I'm thinking that in Scotland I could camp by a sea loch and head out to some rocjs and try my hand. Anyone recommend a cheap enough product to get?

Also, anyone have any tips or advice to someone who is new to it?

We used to use squid as bait which I guess is not cost effective as it was probably more expensive than if we had bought the fish from the same fish market. Also the little buggers were very adept at nibbling the bait off the hooks without getting caught so a lot of it was wasted.

Our best record BTW was over 30 nice sardine looking fish on a very stormy mornings fishing from a harbour wall. It was so windy using my Dad's big rod and his two heaviest weights (one looked like a film version mine (spikey sphere) and the other was like a big lead weight with two metal rods (angled into a square U shape) that could be rotated to stick out or lay flat. Anyway they were very heavy and the wind just blew them back at us like bullets. Which made us quit the fishing that morning together with the very heavy rain as well. Still without fish, but on the way home we went past the fish market (was in France BTW) and at about 5am they were unloading their vans with fish so we walked in and got the fish from one of the stalls. Cheating I know but the family believed it and only found out otherwise when my Dad let slip one Christmas many years later. I blame the Raki as I'd have kept quiet.

Anyhow I'm digressing.

Any advice on kit and techniques would be most appreciated. I think a spinnning kit would be best (according to a fishing / cycling shop on Skye).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE