Trying wild foods i've foraged

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi all,
Not been working today due to the cold weather so i went on a little forage
for some wild foods,sea beet,alexanders and jews ear fungi.I also found cleavers,young nettles, hedge garlic and dandelion leaves.
And i sure there was a few more out there covered under the snow.I feel like i am getting
my foragers eye in after reading loads of books and going on a few courses .
The sea beet i fried in butter and wasn't to keen.Alexanders i boiled/ steamed.
Not sure about them either quite fragrant.The jews ear fungi i sliced up and fried in olive oil.They didn't taste to bad if a little chewy.
Roll on spring for more foraging opportunitys.:)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
we had sea beet for tea today as well, boiled for a little and knob of butter, lovely. I have bunch of jelly ears as well. not keen on them fresh, nice dried and crumbled in soup. They are alright sliced fresh in light chinese soup. I can't stand hedge garlic, smell alright taste like manky cabbage to me.

I dont fry jelly ears, they go bang to easily and splash fat everywhere.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Lol yeah they did pop and crack all over the palce,
had to put a wooden spoon over them to stop em jumping out the pan.
I have got some drying at the moment for later use:)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Loads of green stuff but the only roots around that I'm finding are the lesser celandines and the ransoms.
Funnily enough I used some of the sliced and dried jelly ears that himself found a couple of weeks ago in my lunchtime soup too :D
Easy to dry them just now with the radiators on in the house. I just lay them out on a bit of silicon paper on the top of the one in the kitchen.

Wish I lived nearer a bit of good foraging coastline.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE