Truly Impressive Skills with Trad Axes

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There is a special category of carpentry for log builders, direct translation would be "axe man" but the meaning is log builder. The way they use the broad axe in this video is optional there is another way maybe more often used especially at later times.

TarryJack

Dec 27, 2020
Buxton, Derbyshire
And here's another one, of a dug-out canoe being built in Latvia. The way they shape the hull initially, so as to be able to stretch it later to give them a canoe much wider than the diameter of the original tree; the use of the coloured dowels to tell them when they've got the hull thickness down to the optimum, without risking making any spots too thin or (even worse) cutting through the hull; and the simple technique for steaming the entire hull using no more than a long fire and a pond - I've watched this one several times, and it never palls.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Here is another one of nearly same type Haapio slightly older and when the type was still in limited use. I think there are courses for making one in Finland and Esthonia at least. The type of boat was quite wide spread at older times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE