Truffles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Iv read they contain 73g off carbs per 100 grams Iv no doubt our ancestors took advantage off this knowledge ,shame I have no idea how to find any .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree :) Find a decent nosed pig or hound is often the easiest way to find them though.

Brilliant flavouring, use sparingly. Occasional stuff I reckon. Couldn't be doing with it every day.

M

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I have an oak sapling that was given to me as a present about 10 years ago - it's supposed to have truffle spore in the growing medium - so far, I've not had the courage to dig down and investigate :)
Maybe it’s size off a football brilliant retirement :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a kind of intense mushroom. Sort of.

They do grow here, but they're rarely found.
On a misty morning, the kind that threatens to be hot, after a lot of rain, some folks say they can smell them.
Once you know what you're sniffing for, it's unmistakeable. Finding where they actually are though in the locality can be hard without a dog.
Truffles spore after the ground is disturbed. Native ground disturbers that help that along are pigs, badgers, foxes, and us :)

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield

On a misty morning, the kind that threatens to be hot, after a lot of rain, some folks say they can smell them.
Once you know what you're sniffing for, it's unmistakeable. Finding where they actually are though in the locality can be hard without a dog.
Truffles spore after the ground is disturbed. Native ground disturbers that help that along are pigs, badgers, foxes, and

Truffles spore after the ground is disturbed. Native ground disturbers that help that along are pigs, badgers, foxes, and us :)
Iv read they grow on chalk so chalk stream trout n truffles would be nice. Trout are easy to catch ,Iv yet to find out how hard truffle hunting is though .

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Be careful what you call a "carb." Cellulose in wood is a classic "carb" which you cannot digest, no matter how hard your guts try. Kelp seaweed is mostly gelatinous carbs but they go through you faster than a racing pigeon.
Lichens have exoskeletons made of many kinds of mixed carbohydrates, I won't argue that. BUT, those building blocks, those sugars, are constructed unlike anything your digestive system enzymes have ever encountered.

Look up the industrial and convenience uses for a kelp derivative called "Alginate." The ice cream companies do not care what goes through you by the morning.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Be careful what you call a "carb." Cellulose in wood is a classic "carb" which you cannot digest, no matter how hard your guts try. Kelp seaweed is mostly gelatinous carbs but they go through you faster than a racing pigeon.
Lichens have exoskeletons made of many kinds of mixed carbohydrates, I won't argue that. BUT, those building blocks, those sugars, are constructed unlike anything your digestive system enzymes have ever encountered.

Look up the industrial and convenience uses for a kelp derivative called "Alginate." The ice cream companies do not care what goes through you by the morning.
According to all sources truffles are high in carbs I’d assume in form off glycogen as it’s a fungi not a plant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE