Tripod for billy can

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Ok after reading and looking through the gallery, and seeing your cooking tripods got me thinking if i could do my own, so off i went to the nearest wrought iron monger, told him bascially what i was after, he walked to the corner and came back with this

tripod1%20(2).JPG

three lengths of bar with washers welded to the top, got all six bars cheap, not sure the washers will be strong enough but they look like they will. Also asked if he could make something a bit better, (for a group but) he said no probs, explained what it was for, he didnt actually make the ones i have but said he would weld thicker rings on to the next ones, the ones i have are about 4FT and solid ie they wont bend under load. If anyones interested i could bring some to the northern meet, hes asking £4.50 per set, which i dont think is bad.

Oh and the string holding the pot is just for demo purposes only. :rolleyes:

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
it'd probly cost you more to buy the materials than to buy them ready made. does the price include the chain? or is that expecting to much for that small price? just thought i'd ask in case others are interested m8 :)

tom

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
What are the poles made of spoony ? I'm thining that if they are galvanised steel they could be a bit weighty. If they are aluminium and therefore light, the guy should start making a load asap and sell them as tripods for bushcrafters and as rod rests for beach anglers. Very similar items sold as beach rod rests (there are a few extra bits) are sold for £25 and up. At his sort of money he could clean up on the market.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
to be honest i havent got a clue what they are amde from, but we did agree on a price and he said he could do as many as needed, i think its about 12mm bar, maybe steel, but for what i wanted they will be just fine, i think you would have to use a caulden filled with lead to bend them, i got 2 sets thinking i could use them to hold a hammack if i ever got one,

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Heh

Just could do with longer chain, which goes through the karabiner(?) at the top, and fastens to one of the legs somehow, so can raise/lower the pot/grill for different flamemarks :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
spoony said:
i got 2 sets thinking i could use them to hold a hammack if i ever got one,

Spoony,
Whilst I'm sure that your heavy-weight tripods will hold up a hammock off the ground, there is no way in the world that you'll be able to get into the hammock using just the tripods. I'm affraid to say you'll have to learn the knots and rigging to tie your hammock between two trees.
They do look to be pretty strong though for holding heavy pots.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
:lmao: There's always one who will spoil the fun. I was dying to find out how well it went trying to sling a hammock between two tripods..... :lmao:

Hell, I'd have paid to watch...

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Course' you can hang a hammock between two tripods. You just need to guy down the opposite sides to stop the hammock from pulling the tripods inward. The legs will give stability and the height should be doable if you tie it fairly tight. If it's done on solid ground, a piece of rope clove hitched around the base of the tripod legs should stop them splaying.

Eric

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Eric_Methven said:
You just need to guy down the opposite sides to stop the hammock from pulling the tripods inward.
Yup, tie the guys to the nearest trees. :p Tripods would probably make the tarp an interesting height above the hammock too.

Me, I prefer bifurcating arbourescent monopods. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE