Triangia advice needed

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Whilst having a general clean up today i found an old triangia kit lying about, I've never actually used it before as yet. (bought it for a fiver about 4 years back) After taking a proper look at it and how they work, something has come to mind. The whole idea of luggin round fuel and filling the burner seems abit anal to me, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried using one by simply lighting a small fire in the base of the stand, and how successful it was?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Feygan said:
Whilst having a general clean up today i found an old triangia kit lying about, I've never actually used it before as yet. (bought it for a fiver about 4 years back) After taking a proper look at it and how they work, something has come to mind. The whole idea of luggin round fuel and filling the burner seems abit anal to me, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried using one by simply lighting a small fire in the base of the stand, and how successful it was?

To be honest, a trangia with a fire in it seems a waste of a good trangia. Simpler just make a stove out of a round stainless steel cutlery drainer from a pound shop or Ikea for a couple of quid, your billy can be made from a stainless steel coffee storage pot and a coat hanger. At most it will cost a fiver. A net bag of dry seasoned wood from a garage for a couple of quid, and you’re set up for cooking and brewing up. The wood you can collect for yourself. Chop enough wood to fit in/fill the inside stove, and you’ll have enough to brew a couple of litres of water and keep you warm on an afternoons walk. It’s how I’ll spend this Saturday, it will be a sweet day all around

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Feygan said:
The whole idea of luggin round fuel and filling the burner seems abit anal to me, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried using one by simply lighting a small fire in the base of the stand, and how successful it was?

Presuming a stainless steel civy version ( wouldn't fancy trying it with an aliminium one ) that gives me a slightly diferent idea, instead of having a fire in the base you could try dropping a sink strainer eg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-Stainless-Steel-Sink-Strainer/dp/B0000BVF5G
into the hole for the burner and use it as an off ground firebox. Doubt it'll burn that efficiently but if your going to use test it with a wood fire anyway it might be worth trying that out. Could also place one of the pan lids underneath to catch ash falling through too.

If you do try it let us know how you get on as a stainless steel Trangia that could be used as a makeshift firebox would be a usefull dual purpose item.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
bikething said:
i thought the 'stainless' trangias just referred to the pots, and the windshield was still aluminium ???

anyone confirm or deny this ? :confused:

Looking at http://www.trangia.se/english/2921.25_series.html
the ultra lights and annodised versions appear to have their windshield made out of the respective different materials but after looking at their website I'm not even sure where I got the idea they make a stainless steel civy set from, now a titanium set with a sink strainer that be getting into the realms of sillyness;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Off topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Trangia winter attachment and preheater? Does it actually increase the efficiency of the meth burner for wintertime excursions? I tried melting a pot of snow last winter with my 28 "Mini" and for the amount of time it took it just wasn't worth it. Does the attachment actually do what it says is does?

Thanks,

Adam

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The German company Tatonka make, or at least used to make a SS clone of the Trangia.

The mini Trangia, is to be honest, a fair weather stove and is affected by wind etc. All I can suggest is that you use a really good wind shield and insulate the unit from any contact with the cold ground, snow etc. The Trangia 25 and 27 is designed to work in the wind and cold and its design helps trap heat which in turn helps the cooking process. The Swedish Army kit performance is improved a lot just by keeping the burner off the ground in winter (I used a piece of folded cardboard)

When you practice with the civvy Trangia, and get to know the simmer ring, you should get around an hour of burn time on a full fill, which is enough for most cooking. Cook on it at home before you take it out, you may be surprised at the results you can achieve with it.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
My windscreen is aluminum, & the pots are stainless. I have the SA model. A little heavy, but I am VERY impressed with it thus far. I like the flexibility of it as well. Now, I wont take it on long journies, but, for a weekend out, I'll lug it.

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
the windscreen is aluminium and the pots are from duossal. That means the outer layer is from aluminium, because it conducts heat better and the inner layer is from stainless steel. I use this version for years and am very satisfied with it. The coldest weather I used it in was about - 7° celsius. I put the burner filled with meths in my pocket for about 5 minutes to warm up and afterwards I had no problems to get it going; I used several gas burners(epigas) and a coleman stove and trangia is by far my favourite burner. I admit it is slow to melt snow

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
addyb said:
Off topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Trangia winter attachment and preheater? Does it actually increase the efficiency of the meth burner for wintertime excursions? I tried melting a pot of snow last winter with my 28 "Mini" and for the amount of time it took it just wasn't worth it. Does the attachment actually do what it says is does?

Thanks,

Adam

It does increase the effect yes. However, it doesn't perform miracles, it will still take time to melt snow and boil water in cold. But the mini-trangia can't compare with ordinary trangias, which have a multiple times better efficiency. The mini-tangia was designed for multisport events, and I honestly think the stove is just a waste of time and money.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Feygan said:
so I'm wondering if anyone has tried using one by simply lighting a small fire in the base of the stand, and how successful it was?

probably you´ll be very successful in melting aluminum (the windshield), since all other fuels (except hexamine, Esbit etc) incl. wood contain a lot more BTUs compared to alc. ....

You could just sell the Trangia ( I gues some people would like to get one) and get an empty beans tin and fabricate a hobo stove.

Tatonka indeed made a st/st clone (the burner itself was st/st too and due to the material charateristics it was a lot slower compared to a brass made Trangia - which in turn isn´t the "original". Just search for "Marris" and "Sirram", you´d be very surprised I suppose).
An other st/st clone is available from www.globetrotter.de (I´m in no way affiliated) - that one too doesn´t even come close to a Trangia.
Trust me, been there - done that

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
The mini-tangia was designed for multisport events, and I honestly think the stove is just a waste of time and money.

That's probably why I've had nothing but trouble with it. I've had the Mini T for about five years now and the only reason I bought it in the first place is because it was small and cheap and I didn't feel like spending eighty canadian dollars on a two to four person Trangia. I thought "I cook my own meals out there, why not just buy a single user stove?" and now we see the result of my folly!

It's funny though because I keep asking "Why can't I melt snow on this thing?" and I keep reading posts on this forum from people saying "What're you talking about? We melt snow just fine on a meth stove." and all the time the answer was staring me right in the face.

Thanks, guys.

Adam

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I made one its two alum. pots the bottom is a fry pan the top is a sauce pan got them at the dollar store it works for me

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Good point about the melting the aluminum, hadnt realised that :lmao:

Ok then, how much fuel does a standard single person triangia tend to burn to get say, the pot filled with water burning? I just dont like the idea of having to lug around bottles of meths all the time. Or will I just be better off with a can and making fires?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just carry a small bottle (think Body Shop shampoo size) - 100ml or so for day walks - fine for (several) brews and lunch. Weighs a lot less than the water for the brews or a gas cylinder!

Red

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
British Red said:
I just carry a small bottle (think Body Shop shampoo size) - 100ml or so for day walks - fine for (several) brews and lunch. Weighs a lot less than the water for the brews or a gas cylinder!

Red

Hmm well could be worth a tryout then, ok I've taken a look around online and such but I'm still abit stumped on how to use the burner part, do you just pour the fuel into the burner pot and light it? Just that it looks like it will just burn off very fast, or is there meant to be some sort of absorbing material in the center of the burner? Ive thrown up a picture to try and show the center part I'm talking about with the holes visable etc, though my camera errs on the wrong side of crap so it's not that clear.

TriangiaBurner.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Feygan said:
.... do you just pour the fuel into the burner pot and light it?
Yup, thats it in a nutshell. Once the unit warms up, the flames burn from the small holes around the outside and heat the whole bottom surface of any pan you put on the trangia support.

ATB

Ogri the trog

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Feygan said:
Good point about the melting the aluminum, hadnt realised that :lmao:

just in case you want to become an aluminum smith and forge somethging out of a windshield ... or vice versa ;)

Ok then, how much fuel does a standard single person triangia tend to burn to get say, the pot filled with water burning? I just dont like the idea of having to lug around bottles of meths all the time. Or will I just be better off with a can and making fires?

last years 2 one week trips with different travel companions: 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) a day for 2 showed a fuel consumption of 1 liter per week, rice and similiar stuff was prepared with the assistance of a pot cozy / potcozy (an insulated stuff sack for the pots, you´ll find tons of infos on the net on how to get or make one).
Fuel consumption depends on a lot of factors - e.g. it takes a lot more time to boil cold tap water than water you´ve preheated via sunlight
Don´t get me wrong: I´ve learned all that stove and fire stuff by making my own experience. The best theoretical source on camp stoves I know about is www.zenstoves.net www.spiritburner.com also provides lots of useful infos

The lightest fuel container in my stove collection is 8 gramms and holds 0,5 liters. Sometimes it´s helpful to have a look at the stuff you want to dump in the dust bin :cool:

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
cyclist said:
You could just sell the Trangia ( I gues some people would like to get one) and get an empty beans tin and fabricate a hobo stove.

I bought a Trangia at a carboot for £3 and sold it for £22 on eBay.
My 30 year old Svea 123 fetched £45. The bloody thing used to frighten me to death. It sounded like a Harrier jet landing, but it did boil quick.

A Trangia, at best, does a hot simmer.

I use a Trangia on my boat with the gas convertor. For cycling and land Rovering I use a small Kelly Kettle and I'm making a sort of Nimblewill Nomad stove to hold a crusader cup and a plate to grill fish on. Following a hint from this forum I intend to use the Trangia meths burner inside the stove when wood isn't available.
If I have to do much more than boil water the cooking is taking too long :0)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE