Tree fork catapults

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I had a good haul of tree forks while out on a walk today...

After a bit of whittling they should look something like this...

I'm loving making these natural made catties at the moment!

Steve

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
they look great. i always have a catty in my pocket in winter while out moochin. what kind of bands do you use?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks Steve,

I've never made a catty or used one since I was a youngster. I think I might have a go now - wheres a good place to buy the bands & pocket?

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i use single theraband silver tapered 25mm - 15mm and 25cm long i really like these as i use .38 cal steel and they fly real well i have taken alsorts of small game with these. if i was using lead i would double them up as they are very sluggish with single bands.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Limaed, I buy the Theraband exercise bands on ebay, no particular seller but whoever is cheapest! The pockets I make out of scrap thin leather that I bought for making longbow grips.

There is a myriad of sellers who make up band sets for a reasonable amount.

Danny, I use 10 or 12mm lead balls that I make myself with those cheap ball moulds. I recently emptied out my airgun pellet trap and got several kilos of lead out which all went into the melting pot! I also come across bits of scrap lead on site from time to time.

Steve

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
This is an Ash fork I got from my Dad who cut it in around 1942...

9600357069_ffbccb6738.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I put some new elastic on it and it works pretty good.

9600357277_a1dd18235a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
I do both theraband gold tapered from 25 to 20 mm both single and doubles and theraband black tube which is best for heavy ammo just have a look at my thread in makers market.
if anyone is wanting any bands?

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i have a mould but the lead balls are about 11mm. so are to heavy for the bands i use. i prefer the lighter bands. as i find them more accurate. i may get myself a mould to make so smaller shot to see how they are

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE