Trail mag - reproofing goretex with fabric softener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Apparently TRAIL magazine has reported good reproofing results on goretex using Comfort Pure fabric softener (at a tiny fraction of the cost of the 'proper' commercial products) as a wash in agent, but I don't know what method they used to achieve this - can anyone enlighten me? Anyone tried this? Reckon it'd need a spell in the clothes dryer to work?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't seen this, but I use fabric conditoner to showerproof woollen cloaks and tunics and it really works very well.
I'd be interested to hear any other reports of it's use, especially with breathable fabrics.

Cheers,
Toddy

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'm gonna try emailing the performance fabrics mob at the University of Leeds (who did the testing) to see if they'll spill the beans. I'll let you know if they say anything.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Toddy,

How do you proof a woolen sweater with fabric softener? I've got a wolly pully commando sweater and an M1951 heavy wool shirt that I wouldn't mind proofing as they're not quite as showerproof as they once were. Any help would be appreciated!

Adam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just really overdo the amount of fabric conditioner you use. I half fill the bath and pour about 250ml of conditoner into the water, then when it's well mixed I put in a cloak, about 5metres worth of 60" wide fabric, and leave it to soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and leave it to drain overnight. Then hang up to dry. I do the same for plaids.
I use warm but not hot water, it opens up the wool scales a bit better than the cold.
Woollen pullovers get a similar treatment but I usually just spin them on the wool cycle of the washing machine and hang them on a broad jacket hanger to dry or lay them out flat on an old towel.
I also buy fibre lubricant that is used to stop warp threads fluffling up on a loom, and this works very well to showerproof wool or even cotton. It's not perfect but it does work.
Remember and rinse the bath out really well before you climb in for a shower :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE