Traditional Mortice And Tenon Joints

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I mentioned this in another post and having thought about it and the fact we have a few members interested in woodwork here, maybe it is worth sharing here too.

Well I can't upload the PDF directly to this forum so here is the linky thing to it.
Hope it is of use to some of you.

Rob.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm a carpenter and there was some of that I didn't know.
Although to be fair I don't have to do joinery at work anyway.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Wait wait wait!!! you have all missed the link... The "Festool Owners Group".....REALLY!!!

Do they have weekly meets down at the local car park and see who has the fastest rail saw?

all gather round the open casing of a flip over mitre saw to see what power the motor is packing?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wait wait wait!!! you have all missed the link... The "Festool Owners Group".....REALLY!!!

Do they have weekly meets down at the local car park and see who has the fastest rail saw?

all gather round the open casing of a flip over mitre saw to see what power the motor is packing?

Dunno but they do have the best boxes by far and I would have their guide rail saw over any other make.
Tanos Systainer T loc boxes and the saw fairly slashes over the competition from a great height*.

*With the possible exception on the Mafell saw.

Last edited:

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Dunno but they do have the best boxes by far and I would have their guide rail saw over any other make.
Tanos Systainer T loc boxes and the saw fairly slashes over the competition from a great height.

Oh I know and a lot of their tools do things no other tool can do which is probably why their prices are so high. I looked at the agency deal through the company I work for and their demands of meterage of showroom space and amount you need to initially purchase is ludacris!

Sorry to go off topic Fraxinus.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Humdrum_hostage, just as a counterpoint, most of my power tool kit is Festool despite me thinking originally they were too expensive. They are top quality tools that actually get more useful as you get more kit because bits work with parts you already own. Take the rail saw for instance, it works on the rails, on the workbench and can be used as a table saw in the CMS, in essence it is a tool system.
If Dewalt had not started to cut corners on their tools when they stopped Elu I would probably have stayed with the Elu/Dewalt brand, Bosch customer service sucks and Makita tools always seem to need new brushes so Festool won the day and I am glad they did, they earn me money.
As a Festool customer I want the shop I buy from to be well stocked and serious about them, hence the demands of the company. :)

Rob.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Dewalt went bad when they murdered Elu and now they have got even worse by merging with Stanley. They also shot themselves in the foot by producing a drill package that is solely available through screwfix and then when people ask us for the same type of package the nearest is about £100 more and they complain we are too expensive.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Dewalt went bad when they murdered Elu and now they have got even worse by merging with Stanley. They also shot themselves in the foot by producing a drill package that is solely available through screwfix and then when people ask us for the same type of package the nearest is about £100 more and they complain we are too expensive.

But you are obviously not quoting like for like, the S****fix package must be a different drill etc made down to a price not up to a spec' ..... some customers are thick so you need to guide them gently through what is better about your option or just offer them Makita instead and stick two fingers up to Dewalt who are generally playing catch-up with other tool companies anyway, to be fair i'd have Makita over dewalt anyday.

Rob.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
But you are obviously not quoting like for like, the S****fix package must be a different drill etc made down to a price not up to a spec' ..... some customers are thick so you need to guide them gently through what is better about your option or just offer them Makita instead and stick two fingers up to Dewalt who are generally playing catch-up with other tool companies anyway, to be fair i'd have Makita over dewalt anyday.

Rob.

Just to be fussy here I reckon De-Walt do make some of the best reasonably priced routers out there at the moment, plus their 110 Jigsaw is one of the better ones.
The lecky planers are up there with the best and can take 4mm off in a single pass so the more common 2mm off is a doddle.

Each manufacturer makes a few really good tools, none of them make the best in every way.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I love talking about tools and I really do appreciate that fiscal constraints often dictate what we buy, I started out with just hand tools and a Black and Decker drill, so have no axe to grind on the tools people use to earn a wage or for their DIY needs. I just offer my humble opinion based on experience.
Speaking of which, the link to the PDF above is written from what I learnt as an apprentice and what I learnt from reading various old books with a good dollop of what is done in workshops in the UK that I have worked in during my career.

Thanks to those who are downloading the PDF, some 60 or so think it worthwhile to do so, which makes this thread worth posting. :)

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE