Tracking books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 24, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hi all,

I'm New to the forum (and bushcraft/tracking) but thought id get a post going.

What tracking books do you have?

i have just purchased animal tracks and signs by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstorm from Amazon. its a great book! it is a hardback A5 book so great size to put in a bag or large pocket, and it goes over all the signs like tracks, scat and feeding signs.

Elliott

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hello there Elliot,
I have a copy of "Mammals of Britain" "their tracks, trails and signs by M.J.Lawrence & R.W.Brown.
It's pretty comprehensive, as it has details of not just the animals tracks but their skeletal structure, teeth, droppings, diet and for the smaller mammals; details of owl pellet id, enabling you to collect the pellets and identify both the species of owl and what they have been feeding on.

Welcome to the site by the way:)
good to have you along.
all the best
Steve

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I've got a good few tracking books,

to me there is a clear distinction between books designed for ID'ing sign, and actual tracking. The preben book is great for ID'ing, there are plenty around that are good although there's yet to be the definitive bible.
I'd like much more info on each animal with several photos, its behaviour etc - the bigger the better.

in terms of tracking there are 2 that stand out, Bob Carss SAS tracking and the old scouting manual 'Training in Tracking'....both are amazing, cant recommend them enough!

Jan 24, 2007
Milton Keynes
That sounds like a great idea for a book. have one halve dedicated to identifying sign and the other halve having a good amount of information on the animals. especially on habits, location, feeding etc.

I will look up those books. esp if they are as good as you say they are!!

ES

to me there is a clear distinction between books designed for ID'ing sign, and actual tracking. The preben book is great for ID'ing, there are plenty around that are good although there's yet to be the definitive bible.
I'd like much more info on each animal with several photos, its behaviour etc - the bigger the better.

in terms of tracking there are 2 that stand out, Bob Carss SAS tracking and the old scouting manual 'Training in Tracking'....both are amazing, cant recommend them enough!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
That sounds like a great idea for a book. have one halve dedicated to identifying sign and the other halve having a good amount of information on the animals. especially on habits, location, feeding etc.

I will look up those books. esp if they are as good as you say they are!!

ES

A gigantic 'keep at home tome' with prints in all the likely environments and all the other types of sign with photo's of teeth, all food eaten, different behaviour at different times of year, mating behaviour, pregnant behaviour, with and without young etc etc would be fantastic.
Animal behaviour is fascinating to me, each animal has a different character and personality. It'd be almost impossible to assemble a book like this but its achievable on a forum. The Wild About Britain Forum is attempting it - and doing very well. Its the closest thing there is to what we're talking about in the world that I know of.
Imagine it in 20 yrs!

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I think the Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstorm book is very good for track ID. It's got some good quality pics.

The Lawrence and Brown book goes a few steps further and helps you identify gaits.

You might want to consider Ian "Max" Mawell's book Animal tracks ID and Techniques. This one has the benefit of being pocket sized.

Of course there's the Tom Brown Jnr books that goes more into the spititual side of tracking.

You have to be aware that each and every one of these books has got some sort or error somewhere, so be a little aware of this.

At Woodlife we're trying to build a Tracks and Signs Library as well. You may have to log in to see the page.

Jan 24, 2007
Milton Keynes

Thanks for this. Just got the Bob crass book and its great. its exactly what i was looking for.

thanks again

ES

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,

Are all the books mentioned specific to Europe? I only ask because I am off to Ghana for a couple of years and want to get some good books to aid myself and my family in identifying the wildlife, especially the ones that may want to sting, bite or eat us,

Regards

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Hi,

Are all the books mentioned specific to Europe? I only ask because I am off to Ghana for a couple of years and want to get some good books to aid myself and my family in identifying the wildlife, especially the ones that may want to sting, bite or eat us,

Regards

Hi,
As far as actual tracking goes, yes, they're relevant - but not for ID'ing - you'll definately want region specific knowledge :)

V8Mondo

Feb 21, 2009
Ely
FYI

Complete Guide to Tracking: Concealment, Night Movement, and All Forms of Pursuit Following Tracks, Trails and Signs, Using 22 SAS Techniques (Paperback)

The complete guide to tracking any living thing in any environment.

by Bob Carss (Author)
  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Right Way (26 Mar 2009)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 0716022052
  • ISBN-13: 978-0716022053

£6.74 on Amazon.co.uk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Trackerman, I don't think that book is out yet. I have just placed a pre-order with Amazon for it. Will PM you once i have got it and give you a heads up to tell you if its worth getting.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Trackerman, Will PM you once i have got it and give you a heads up to tell you if its worth getting.

Oh,please do that! Thank you, very kind of you.
I have "The SAS Guide to Tracking" by Bob Carss, and I really like that book. It would be interesting to compare these books, to see if there is more information about tracking.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Right , Have recieved the above book now and will study it further , but on 1st glance it would appear to be just a reprint of his 1st book in a handy A5 format.

Little bit disappointed , but as i said 1st glanc so far , if i get the chance i will cross ref with the original to see if anything new is in there.

Would'nt at this point recommend as an additional purchase , but if you have neither may be worth picking up as handy size , but i think some pictures have been omitted.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I got Preben & Prebens book in swedish and I think it's outstanding for animal tracking. I also got the SAS book by Carss which seems allright but I haven't really put tracking humans into practice. It makes sense though.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Does anyone have or have read Tactical Tracking Ops by David Scott-Donelan. Don't think I'll ever put it to practical use but I'm considering buying it for fun and information and just want a second opinion.

Edit: I bought it myself and it's a very good book focusing on tracking people. Several of the chapters don't apply to me, weapons, counter ambush etc. but are a fun read anyway, and there are several anecdotes from the writers days in the Rhodesian bush war. I can definitely recommend it if you are interested in man-tracking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE