Trackers wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Anyone around the North-west fancy taking a tracking novice for a bit of a wander around their local woods??

Needs pointing in the right direction
Mr Strop

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Looking you up on the map, its only a 3 hour drive give or take to you , so I might well be interested, if the offer is still open.

What sort of thing would you have in mind? Bearing in mind when I say novice tracker I mean very novice indeed ( ie knowing nothing)

Still a bit lost
Mr Strop

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
If you can make it over to North Lincolnshire I'll take you tracking. Here's a couple of photos for you to have a go at ID'ing. The same penny is in each photo for scale.

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Right I could have cheated and looked them up but here goes best guess, remember I know nothing and have done nothing of tracking.

1) Badger
2) Child lol, no idea really
3) Deer

Anything better then 0/3 is good

Waiting for the laughter
Mr Strop

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
1) Brown Rat, R/F
2) and 3) are Reed Deer The tracks are from the same animal one on soft ground and one on harder ground.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
the roe deer hind is walking, so the the prints overlay.

the brown rat is a hedgehog (i think :) ) but could be a Rat :)

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
They are Rat prints, Hedgehogs have 5 toes on their front feet Rats have only 4.
The deer prints are Red Deer they are far to big to Roe. They are from a Stag if they were from a Hind they would not overlay as close the rear print would be further of the side. Hinds hips are a lot wider than their shoulders. You were right about the walking. But that of course is just the way that I read them but I had the the advantage of seeing the rest of the tracks and the other sign with them :D

Reactions: beachlover

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE