Tools For Self Reliance

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hope this is the right forum for this. If not, please move.

I think these people might have been mentioned on here before, but I like what these people do with old tools. It seems like something we should support if we have the spare stuff to donate.

http://www.tfsr.org/

I'm interested in some of the stuff that those village balcksmiths can make using minimal tools and improvised anvils. Pretty impressive.

I've also bought an axe from my local group at Crickhowell. It has an SAW or ASW stamp, and is marked Sweden Drop Forge. I don't know more than that about it, but it is a good axe, with a beech handle, and I paid about a tenner for it, so I'm delighted.

Apologies if I'm duplicating a previous post.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I agree, it's a brilliant idea. But there is a problem.

People here tend to only buy new tools when there old ones are completely worn out, and even then most will try to repair them.

But, despite that, people on here do ocassionally replace tools completely, and on these occasions, it would be nice if they donated it to charity.

Maybe a link on the side of the forum or some kind of advertisement?

Regards,
Ph34r

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I could do with some of those tools myself :D :D Joking..
For real though. I remember the days of 1995-96 a few years after we got out of soviet union and there was a tremendous importance of second hand stuff we got from western world. So I feel for these people.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
seems like a really good idea. unfortunately restoring tools is a hobby for me so the only stuff i never use is stuff completely beyond repair, although maybe one day when i don't need anymore tools at all but still want to keep restoring them i might get in contact with them and sort something out, maybe do some volunteering restoring tools for them. definately a worthy cause though, i like charities that make it so that people dont need charities if you know what i mean.

i've always thought it would be a good idea to teach starving people buchcraft so that they can become completely self dependant and get their own food from nature like the african tribes do.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
i've always thought it would be a good idea to teach starving people buchcraft so that they can become completely self dependant and get their own food from nature like the african tribes do.

:D :D I think starvation mainly happens where bushcraft was already there but it wasn't enough. People can chew on sticks all day long, but that wont save them. We need to stop globalism and abuse of the third world if we want something good for them ;)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
seems like a really good idea. unfortunately restoring tools is a hobby for me so the only stuff i never use is stuff completely beyond repair, although maybe one day when i don't need anymore tools at all but still want to keep restoring them i might get in contact with them and sort something out, maybe do some volunteering restoring tools for them. definately a worthy cause though, i like charities that make it so that people dont need charities if you know what i mean.

i've always thought it would be a good idea to teach starving people buchcraft so that they can become completely self dependant [/COLOR]and get their own food from nature like the african tribes do.

WOW :red::red::red::red: AM GOB SMACKED !!!!!!!!!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
All of the idealist and political stuff to one side (not knocking any of that, I think the idea is a very good one), the various shops of this organisation around the UK seem to sell off surplus tools that have been donated. Usually gardening equipment, but I've usually found axes, woodturning tools, hammers and the like there too, and the prices are usually very good for the quality of tool that you get. Might need a bit of sharpening and so forth, but that's what people here seem to like doing anyway!

There might be possibilities for people to learn skills as a volunteer in the workshops too, or getting tools sharpened, not that I've tried either.

The volunteers are interesting folk to talk to about tools. They know their stuff.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
The volunteers are interesting folk to talk to about tools. They know their stuff.

I agree, i can go in their trying to look clever by going on about tools or machines, and then be gobsmacked when they know what i'm talking about.:eek:

They must be the first employees to actually know something about their job. Go into b&q or homebase, and they have no idea, or make up some utter BS on the spot.

Ph34r

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
I agree, i can go in their trying to look clever by going on about tools or machines, and then be gobsmacked when they know what i'm talking about.:eek:

They must be the first employees to actually know something about their job. Go into b&q or homebase, and they have no idea, or make up some utter BS on the spot.

Ph34r

i find the staff at my local focus great for a good laugh, i once asked one of them what it meant on a piece of timber where it said pressure treated (knowing full well what pressure treating is and how its done) and the guy told me that it meant it had been squeezed in a press to close all the air pockets in the wood to make it water tight. i managed to keep a straight face untill i left the shop then i just burst out laughing.
i know, im evil when im bored :p

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
There used to be a charity based in Upper Street, Islington, that completely refurbished and supplied old tools to village projects like these.

This is an excellent, enabling project which I'll wholeheartedly support. Many thanks for posting it.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
i find the staff at my local focus great for a good laugh, i once asked one of them what it meant on a piece of timber where it said pressure treated (knowing full well what pressure treating is and how its done) and the guy told me that it meant it had been squeezed in a press to close all the air pockets in the wood to make it water tight. i managed to keep a straight face untill i left the shop then i just burst out laughing.
i know, im evil when im bored :p

Lmao. The best was at the army surplus place, when they were trying to sell me a hollow- handled knife.
him -" these are the best knives in a survival situation"
me -"hahha, yeah but when the handle breakes, i sure hope your teeth are sharp"
:D:lmao::BlueTeamE

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Your dad is a good man then.

Are there any Jews here? Off topic of course, but they had a custom before to give 10% their income for a sort of charity. I'm just wondering if it's being done today?..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE