todays wanderings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Spent half the day wandering round in the woods, it's been quite interesting really.

The main point of going was to spend a while playing with my firesteel and I've come to the conclusion it's probably not a very good quality one - see "firesteel question" in the firecraft section. While I was messing about with it I decided to see if I could get some birch bark to light and managed very well, I was almost surprised at the ammount of black smoke from it though - no wonder it lit so well!

Unfortunately no photos but I also came across some hornets, which I've never seen in Britain before, there were a few near where I was so I decided to move in case there was a nest nearby, might see if I can get a photo at the weekend, without getting stung in the process!

I also sat down with a well seasoned sapling (about 60mm 2" dia) and had a good attempt at making a bow which, when I was done, looked really good but was far too heavy - I couldn't draw it more than a couple of inches, even after I'd wittled it down even more!

The only thing I didn't manage was to work out how to tie a siberian knot for the hammock I should be getting soon, hopefuly in time for middlewood - I'll be there if I can.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've not really gone through too many firesteels but my modest experience so far shows that all the steels are about the same, it's the striker. Strikers that have a serrated edge tend to give more sparks than strikers with smooth edges.
So it may work better if you file some serrations along the edge of the striker.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Spent half the day wandering round in the woods, it's been quite interesting really.

The main point of going was to spend a while playing with my firesteel and I've come to the conclusion it's probably not a very good quality one - see "firesteel question" in the firecraft section. While I was messing about with it I decided to see if I could get some birch bark to light and managed very well, I was almost surprised at the ammount of black smoke from it though - no wonder it lit so well!

Unfortunately no photos but I also came across some hornets, which I've never seen in Britain before, there were a few near where I was so I decided to move in case there was a nest nearby, might see if I can get a photo at the weekend, without getting stung in the process!

I also sat down with a well seasoned sapling (about 60mm 2" dia) and had a good attempt at making a bow which, when I was done, looked really good but was far too heavy - I couldn't draw it more than a couple of inches, even after I'd wittled it down even more!

The only thing I didn't manage was to work out how to tie a siberian knot for the hammock I should be getting soon, hopefuly in time for middlewood - I'll be there if I can.

which woods where you playing in!?

Done a bit up in lincoln myself

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
opposite birchwood at the side of the A46.

The trouble I'm having with the firesteel is; When you see videos of people striking them, they put the knife about 3/4" from the end, press quite hard and push with the thumb and get some good sparks and a hard "crunch" I think mine's too soft for that, it doesn't seem to matter what I do unless I strike the full length of it I just get shaveings. Trouble is with striking like that isn't very accurate and you keep hitting the tinder with the striker / knife.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Quick tip,
leave the striker/knife in position near the tinder and pull the rod away from it, less risk of disturbing the tinder
jon

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
also if you're striking with the back of ur knife, run a metal file over the back of the knife a coupla times to rough it up, makes striking muck easier (ps don't file too enthusiastically or you'll ruin ur knife!!) :eek:
kneel, hold ur knife and lock ur fist into ur boot then using ur left hand (if you're right handed) to quickly pull the firesteel upwards against the back of the knife.
Hmmm hope that wasn't too jumbled or confusing:p

rigger_john

Sep 23, 2008
leicester
opposite birchwood at the side of the A46.

The trouble I'm having with the firesteel is; When you see videos of people striking them, they put the knife about 3/4" from the end, press quite hard and push with the thumb and get some good sparks and a hard "crunch" I think mine's too soft for that, it doesn't seem to matter what I do unless I strike the full length of it I just get shaveings. Trouble is with striking like that isn't very accurate and you keep hitting the tinder with the striker / knife.

I hope this is a stupid question but you are using the back of the knife aren't you? Sorry if that is insulting. What make of steel is it, I have the Swedish FireSteel never had a problem.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'll reply with hammock advice :D

You don't use the siberian hitch fo the hammock, that's the first knot commonly used for the ridgeline on the tarp.

For the hammock: pass the two straps around the tree and back to athe front, repeat if possible and then do a basic, bog standard bunny-ears knot, underneath the lines.

That's it, just repeat on the other side. It will keep you up and swingin' forever (I'm heavy and that setup kept e up for the whole five day moot.

Give us a shout if you want a list of what and where knots :)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I'll reply with hammock advice :D

You don't use the siberian hitch fo the hammock, that's the first knot commonly used for the ridgeline on the tarp.

For the hammock: pass the two straps around the tree and back to athe front, repeat if possible and then do a basic, bog standard bunny-ears knot, underneath the lines.

That's it, just repeat on the other side. It will keep you up and swingin' forever (I'm heavy and that setup kept e up for the whole five day moot.

Give us a shout if you want a list of what and where knots :)

Thanks for that, I'll need to know it anyway but I think I've got it sussed now :rolleyes: Yeah, I'd like the knots list please, I'll know some of them but I'm on here to learn.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Here is a great resource for knots :) he even does vids :D
http://www.bushcraftnorthwest.com/articles/articles.htm

Here are a couple of diagrams...

tsu.jpg

hsu.jpg

If you can read my scrawl, well done you!! :lol:

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Novemberain,

Is your knife stainless steel or carbon steel? I have Frosts Mora knives in both and the carbon knife strikes a lot better than the stainless one. Likewise, my Greg Venters carbon steel knife strikes a treat. My firesteel is a Light my Fire "Army" version.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thankyou cobweb, I made sense of it!

I've tried several knives and "things" with the firestaal I've got. The big problem seems to be the firesteel itself is too soft, as soft if not softer than aluminium - or is that normal?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Thankyou cobweb, I made sense of it!

I've tried several knives and "things" with the firestaal I've got. The big problem seems to be the firesteel itself is too soft, as soft if not softer than aluminium - or is that normal?
I'd have to say no, it's not normal for the fire steel (ferro rod) to be soft, my two are not, nor are they shiny when scraped. a very dull grey, rather than a silver in fact. Go for a light my fire one (get the cheapest model you can find made by "light my fire") and see if that is better than the one you have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE