Titanium stove

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Rik,

Have you noticed in the pictures in the listing that it looses then gains 4 oz....:rolleyes:

Any how it's a veritable heavy weight compared to this baby...

cc4eaea07a0d35b8b2353c45166a34f83e798a97.jpg

only 48g.... and a better burner head than the Kovea...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fire-Maple-FM...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item335fe7871b

I'm happy with me Bluet or 123.......:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aren't Fire Maple the ones who make stoves from pre-manufactured stock components for themselves and a host of other manufacturers from go-gas to monatauk IIRC. You can usually tell as the block that forms the base into which the control valve goes looks similar to each other also some look a bit like the optimus crux too with a more horzontal block shape (and more weight).

http://monatauk.com/inc/sdetail/509

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Aren't Fire Maple the ones who make stoves from pre-manufactured stock components for themselves and a host of other manufacturers from go-gas to monatauk IIRC.

Sort of.. They make products they design and manufacture to order for a variety of distributors. Global sourcing generally means heading off to China and one of the trade fairs ( Canton is comming up in April I wonder if Alpkit are going??) getting around the show meeting suppliers and then buying product. The success of a lot of smaller Distributors/ brands and the addition of products to traditional established "outdoor brand" ranges is accomplished by sourcing ODM product from Chinese 3P providers.

Alpkit's MYTI Mug is an example of that. As is this stove being sold by Monatauk there are heaps of others if you know the products being offered and the Chinese Supply base.

Gill said:
I have one the same as this made by Markill and its great

No the stove is made by Kovea and sold under the Markill brand Markill's range has been Kovea's range for a good few years I suspect since Vaude bought Markill up. Now with the exception of the Stormy and they used to do a blue petrol powered stove a bit like a Optimus 123. All the stoves are sourced from Kovea..

look a bit like the optimus crux too with a more horzontal block shape (and more weight).

It might be worth pointing out that the Optimus Crux Lite is 72g So this Fire maple is a lot lighter if that sort of thing floats your boat...

HTH

John

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
John - From what people were saying on another site a lot of the components for these light stoves are made in China and bought in from stock parts then combined to make a wide range of stove brands. I am sure they said that Fire Maple was one of those companies that put the stove together for the various brands and for themselves. Often in the same production streams. I think the fact that the firemaple and monatauk are identical in weight, design and look are testament to this. Plus the price difference indicates to me that Monatauk buy from firemaple then add a mark-up. You can of course get the Monatauk Gnat from the CLimbers shop in the UK but Fire Maple stoves are via ebay or internet direct IIRC. Pay for convenience and extra layers of mark-ups.

Personally I will stick with my old Micron. Might be something in the 80-86g range I think but would you really notice the difference between that and the 48g stoves? I doubt it so perhaps the more solid micron with PZ ignition is a better option for people who are not so weight obsessed.

Anyone used those Tibetan hexi stoves weighing 6 or 7g? Those that fold out around a small square tray for the tab? BPL-UK sell them and I have no idea what hexi is like other than supposedly smelly, smokey and sooty on your pots.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
John - From what people were saying on another site a lot of the components for these light stoves are made in China and bought in from stock parts then combined to make a wide range of stove brands. I am sure they said that Fire Maple was one of those companies that put the stove together for the various brands and for themselves. Often in the same production streams.

Paul,

What you are saying is exactly the same as my comments in post #5.

To recap...

Fire maple provide ODM product and sell it to various distributors this is made easy in the the EU by the fact the appliances have CE certification. There are a lot of ODM suppliers in China that's true enough but I'd say Firemaple are by far and away the best currently and I've seen, met with and visited a lot of them. There are also a lot of OEM manufacturers as well for all of the major brands...

The TI stove is as good as a crux the valve tests out extremely well under repetitive loading.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
A couple of classics. Do you have any pictures to share?

Gordy

Gordy,

Dont get me started on Stove pictures.....:eek:

Here you go one you may be familiar with....

P1010056.jpg

Also a Bush Shot (different stove)....

DSCF1983.jpg

Rik an BilmoP5 will know what this is....

Also making dinner in a Snow Cave....

DSCF0042.jpg

I've posted this shot before and Cliff likes it...

No TI and No Gas in sight....:)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice John! When I went through my pre-comisssioning basic training, in 1982, I saw thoses squad stoves being used in a demonstration. I never saw any of them after that and I am not sure the criteria for issue then. What are the makes and models of the other stoves.

Gordy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Gordy,

from top to bottom:

M1950 US issue 'squad stove' Running on shellite in this photo

Primus 71 the aluminium outfit is part of the stove kit but I forget the suffix primus used 71K IIRC.. It's sort of an early jetboil.... again running on Shellite

Optimus Explorer... Running on AVTUR in this photo...

Cheers

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik,

Have you noticed in the pictures in the listing that it looses then gains 4 oz....:rolleyes:

Any how it's a veritable heavy weight compared to this baby...

cc4eaea07a0d35b8b2353c45166a34f83e798a97.jpg

only 48g.... and a better burner head than the Kovea...

I'm happy with me Bluet or 123.......:)

John, I thought you knew me better, do you think in a million years I would buy anything made of Titanium? Are your crazed man? Naa, I just put the link up because some folk have more money than sense and might like one.

I've got one of the old 'Micro' or 'Micron' ? stoves that must be about 25 years ago, was doing it back then, small, compact; I must find that its a good little brew stove in summer. I just put a little brew kit together for a trip next week, using a 99 opti and two pint Bulldog billy :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
John, I thought you knew me better, do you think in a million years I would buy anything made of Titanium? Are your crazed man? Naa, I just put the link up because some folk have more money than sense and might like one.

I've got one of the old 'Micro' or 'Micron' ? stoves that must be about 25 years ago, was doing it back then, small, compact; I must find that its a good little brew stove in summer. I just put a little brew kit together for a trip next week, using a 99 opti and two pint Bulldog billy :)

Yes well it thought it was a bit out of character for you... I'm guess that stove will be an EPIGAS Micro. Very good kit EPIGAS they had a really good needle valve control and were very well built if not over built TBH. Japanese Quality.

I also like my 99 but I could do with a mini / midipump and cap any ideas??

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There was a chap on CCS, Henrick? IIRC he was making some or going to. With the 99 I swill a bit of meths in the base container, light and the pressure soon builds up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE