Tinder Fungi

P

Philr

Ive been seaching in all my local woods for this type but to no avail untill today and what a monster take a butchers....
bushcraft006ys7.jpg

bushcraft005eh0.jpg

It was about 10" across and 3" deep it has now been processed (cut up and boiled in wee-wee,bashed flat and now drying.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
would u mind explainging the process of making it in to tinder? i have some drying out at the moment iv been looking for a tutorial of some sort. cheers

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
Arr thanks, i think i stumbled across this a while back, will have to have a go some time soon..Cheers ogri.

Hartung

Nov 27, 2005
Europe
Phil,

I hope you don’t mind me posting this one on your thread. But it’s such a nice tinder ….. :)
Found today, 2ft above the ground on a beech, fungi was fully exposed to the sun.

Dimensions 22 2/3” x 6 1/3”, max thickness of the trama (tinder) was 2 1/3”.

Monsterpilz.jpg
[/IMG]

P

Philr

Wow mine looks like a younger bro to yours,
Mine was on a willow tree by a river again about 3' off the ground when I opened him up he was v dead and being eaten from within but there was enough to make half a carryer bag full of the tinder.
Is there any bigger out there I wonder..... :eek:

Hartung

Nov 27, 2005
Europe
Phil,

This is he biggest I’ve ever found. If I remember well, literature says they grow up to about 22” in diameter. But I don’t know if that’s right as there still is some industry in Rumania that uses tinder fungus for it’s “textile” qualities and build hats, bags and other things…….from the tinder. Wonder how they do….. I think it could really be interesting to pay them a visit ;-).

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Clearly a bracket polypore, and many are reported to be good for tinder purposes. Which fungus do you think it is? Fomes Fomentarius is usually further north than Reading. Phellinus ignarius should be dull and cracked. A key feature on this one would be its shiny surface.

Rogers Mushrooms web site doesn't seem to be working well for me today.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE