This Weekend In Chopwell Wood ( lot of pictures-sorry!)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This weekend in Chopwell Wood; we held our first training event of the year.
Partly due to a mix up with the FC booking arrangements and equally due ( I hope:rolleyes: ) to late advertising locally, the turn out was low, with only six "students" turning up.

As always; sincere thanks to Eric Methven, who supervised the camping on Saturday night;)

We set up the 12 x 12 tarp that Eric made for me, as a reflector/windbreak, with three birch poles, cut from the boundless saplings just below our site.
IMGP0054copyz.jpg

It's a heavy piece of kit but extremely strong and well made;) You can also see Erics homemade Capote, or blanket coat hanging here.

We used the oil drum fire pit, ( Eric's handy work again;) ) which made for easy tidying and prep in the morning and also made a brilliant centrepiece for the "crack"
IMGP0067.jpg

I had to leave about 9:30pm, it was a crystal clear night and cold with it. I had a close shave with a roe buck as I passed the main car park on my way out but got home safe and more significantly; warm.
I returned in the morning for about 8 o'clock, to find poor Eric still in his tent, shivering like a jelly, proclaiming; "It's my hammock for me, next time!" I sorted him out with a hot cup of coffee and he was soon up and about again.
In no time at all, we had struck camp and returned to the classroom to begin the proceedings for the day.
A couple of lad's were travelling up from Middlesborough and as soon as they turned up, we were ready to start; A quick intro and safety brief, then we were off for our first practical session of the day.

On the way, I took the party up onto our "tree trail". This is a brilliant asset, which has dozens of different species of tree's along it's 150m length, including many mature tree's as well as younger ones. The beauty of this trail is that each species is identified with a small plaque, allowing you to learn to id the tree's at any season of the year.
I explained some of the uses for resins and barks, as well as things like honeysuckle for fire lighting and cordage making.

We arrived at our new training area and set to with shelter building;

Totally by accident/chance, we ended up with a three man SoTP team and a three man BCUK team!:D

IMGP0087.jpg

both teams worked really well and in less than an hour had the basic shelters up
IMGP0100.jpg

Then they began to improve on the basic design;
IMGP0104.jpg

This is the completed SoTP shelter with extended front.
The results were really very impressive:You_Rock_
I think it was partly due to the fact that we had no "outdoors newbies", all the lads being familiar with the outdoors but myself, Eric and Ken were amazed at how little guidance or supervision the group needed.:)

The weather was perfect for the task; virtually no wind, brilliant blue sky and sunshine but cool.

All too soon it was time to dismantle the shelters and move on; all the materials being scattered again to leave minimum trace.Our route back to the classroom, took us through an area of numerous dead birch, where we collected enough bark to help our fire lighting for the afternoon.

After lunch; I explained and then demonstrated; the simple basics of lighting and maintaining a small camp fire. Then it was the lad's turn;
IMGP0113.jpg

As with many skills associated with our hobby; practice makes perfect and some of the group had their fires going no bother at all while one or two took a little longer, not being used to the kit.
IMGP0114-1-1.jpg
IMGP0115-1.jpg
IMGP0122-1.jpg

having mastered firesteel and birch bark, it was time to try flint and steel;
IMGP0116-1.jpg
IMGP0117-1.jpg
IMGP0119-1.jpg

everyone succeeded, in spite of a few lung fulls of thick smoke and the odd dizzy spell:)
Then it was time to put out the fires and minimise the traces;
IMGP0126-1-1.jpg
IMGP0132-1.jpg
IMGP0135.jpg

We tidied up and retired to the classroom for a coffee and a bit of a chat and then we all went home.
Thanks to everyone who came, it was a really enjoyable weekend, if a tiring one as always but we hope to see you all again soon.
kind regards
Steve

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Aye, it was cold on Saturday night all right. That's the first time I've slept on the ground for a couple of years. Now I know why I prefer my hammock.

Anyhoo, I've defrosted fully and as if by magic, the last vestiges of cabin fever have dissipated completely. Thanks to all who made it such a fun weekend, and let's face it, it has to be fun because none of us get paid for running these weekends.

I'll see what's in my camera when I get a minute and maybe stick some pics up here (I didn't take many though).

Eric

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I can't believe I missed this one Steve

Just re-read the Chopwell Dates thread again and noted the dates this time ;)

Hope to see you in August if it happens

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
It was extremely cold on the Saturday night - first time I've felt the heat literally drain out of a sleeping bag like that!

It was a brilliant weekend and I can't praise Steve, Eric and Ken highly enough.:notworthy

Here's the Bushcraft 'Village' (three shelters if you look carefully).
3399072739_fe0f592106_b.jpg

Mark

rancid badger

It was a cracking "do" I forgot to add the picture of Erics kit roll:
IMGP0129.jpg

this was his bedding, wrapped in an ipk and tied with paracord. I think most of his soft kit went in there too, as his Swedish rucksack which he arrived with, was "acquired" by one of the lads:D

cheers
Steve

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yea, I flogged my Swedish rucksack to one of the lads as he needed one, and I have a few more at home. I just needed a way to get all my stuff home.

Inside the 'swag roll' is my sleeping bag, that eye dazzling capote blanket coat, my tent, nalgene piddle bottle, goretex jacket, fuel bottle, longjohns and some spare clothing.

I could manage OK with it just as it is if I made up a leather harness to sling it across my back. After all, people managed with similar setups for hundreds of years before I did this one.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE